cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5 - QSPI display

micro-jay
Associate

I'm planning a new device and wish to use an STM32U5 series processor.

We would like to reuse an existing display.  However, this has a QSPI interface (at 50MHz).

Is it possible to use one of the Octal-SPI interfaces on the STM32U5 series for driving a display?  I could not find any documentation explicitly discussing this.

Specifically I was looking at the STM32U585

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not familiar with your display

But if it works on another STM32 QSPI interface it should here.

ST doesn't check the command. You can set the length and direction of the data phase. You can skip Address or Alternate phases.

Command, Address and Alternate are output phases.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The OCTOSPI interface on the U5's, and other STM32, can communicate with QUADSPI memory devices, you can control the lines in use to 1, 2, 4 or 8-lines, for each of the command, address, alternate and data phases.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I'm aware that the Octal-SPI can be changed to a QSPI, dual-SPI or even a regular SPI interface, I'm just not sure if it can also be used as a display interface for a QSPI display.  I have seen on other MCUs (for example Nordic Semiconductor nRF5340) the flash memory interface can only be used for flash memory, and there are hardware limitations that inhibit it from being used to drive a display.

Not familiar with your display

But if it works on another STM32 QSPI interface it should here.

ST doesn't check the command. You can set the length and direction of the data phase. You can skip Address or Alternate phases.

Command, Address and Alternate are output phases.