cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32U5[Ax] Usb Host Multi-Packet Data Toggling

bluluiss
Associate

Hi all,

I am not able to fully understand how the DATA0/DATA1 toggling works when performing multi-packets transmissions.

For "multi-packet" transmission I mean that the "num_packets" in USB_OTG_HCTSIZ_PKTCNT register is greater than 1, (i.e. I want to send 2x512 OUT packets on a bulk endpoint])

[stm32u5xx_ll_usb.c - l.1941]

USBx_HC(ch_num)->HCTSIZ = (hc->XferSize & USB_OTG_HCTSIZ_XFRSIZ) |

(((uint32_t)num_packets << 19) & USB_OTG_HCTSIZ_PKTCNT) |

(((uint32_t)hc->data_pid << 29) & USB_OTG_HCTSIZ_DPID);

In this case, is the data0/data1 toggling between the two sent packets, performed by the HW?

If this is true,

I think that a bug in the HAL exist when num_packets is even, since the negation of the  data_toggle attribute in the HCD_HC_OUT_IRQHandler is performed only on the XFRC event (which is triggered when PKTCNT reaches zero).

In this case the next submitted request starts with a wrong DATA0/DATA1 PID, not taking into account the fact that the hardware performed an additional toggling. 

Actually, after moving the following lines of HCD_HC_OUT_IRQHandler

if (hhcd->Init.dma_enable == 0U && !hhcd->hc[chnum].do_ping)
{
hhcd->hc[chnum].toggle_out ^= 1U;
}

from the following condition

else if (__HAL_HCD_GET_CH_FLAG(hhcd, chnum, USB_OTG_HCINT_XFRC))

to this one

else if (__HAL_HCD_GET_CH_FLAG(hhcd, chnum, USB_OTG_HCINT_ACK))

allowed me to properly perform an acked multi-packet transmission, but I am not absolutely sure if this is correct, since I do not own an USB Protocol analyzer.

Does this should be applied also in the HCD_HC_IN_IRQHandler  ?

@TDJ  Many thanks for collecting a lot of really bad bugs of this library, I think that you could be interested in this.

Someone from ST can help me?

3 REPLIES 3
FBL
ST Employee

Hello @bluluiss ,

Could you share protocol trace detailing the issue for further investigation.

Do you use USB DMA?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

As I said, unfortunately, I do not have an USB Logic Anaylzer.

Since it could be a really awful bug, can you please do the verifications?

I am not using DMA at all since the documentation is quite lacking.

FBL
ST Employee

Hello @bluluiss 

Would you please share a simple project that reproduce the issue without any modifications on HAL and using latest version from github. Otherwise, we cannot help! 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.