cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H743 Nucleo board SEGGER JLink issue

XZ
Associate II

Hi There,

I bought two STM32H743 Nucleo boards recently and did some tests on them. As usual, I first converted ST-Link v2 to JLink interface using the tool SEGGER provided. I have done this with F1, F4, and F7 series boards in order to use JLink RTT for debugging and never had any issue in the past. But when I tried with the new H743 board, I am not able to download the program to the chip using the JLinkExe command line, the way which I usually download programs to STM boards. Even though I can download to the H743 board using the AC3 IDE provided by STM, I am not able to debug after that. Right after the program is downloaded, it run in a wired loop and never be able to stop. Also I am not able to see the RTT debug outputs using the JLinkRTTClient terminal, as usual. I googled a couple of times regarding this question but got no answer.

Can you please kindly give me some hints for how to deal this kind of problems? Any comment will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Xiaoguang

20 REPLIES 20
XZ
Associate II

If you are not ST technical support, then there is no need for further discussions.

Brian Kling
Senior III

@XZ​ please take a deep breath and pause before replying. While @Uwe Bonnes​ 's reply may have been short, he was trying to help educate you on community best practice. There is no need to take things personally, let's just focus on the question/issue and a solution, thanks!

XZ
Associate II

@brk

Thanks for your inputs, as a STM employee.

This was my first time using your community. You will find out that there was nothing personal here on my side if you go over the posts in the past few days.

I have been using STM microcontollers for quite a long period of time. I was very pleased with the product quality and had no questions of anything because the documentation is quite clear, straightforward and complete. That was the reason for me to use ST products, and as a ST employee you should be proud of it, the QUALITY.

Only after I purchased the new released STM32H743 board, I had some minor issues for program uploading and RTT. That was the only reason I came here. I thought this commnity was led by the experts of ST, my question should be sovled just in a minute. But actually that was not the case. The answer given to me was incorrect, misleading, and I was then asked to contact SEGGER.

I have also worked with other companie's technical support and rarely seen situation like this. As a ST employee and lead of the community, you should teach your people how to better serve your customers, rather than let them "teach" your customers in an arrogant way. I don't think you can say your customers as morons, nor anything similar... That is wrong!

I wish some day in the future your community service quality should catch up with your product! This is my advice and it is for your company's sake.

Please do forward my request to your company's management team and let them know that there is still room for improvement. It is your responsibility! I hope they can help to make a change.

If necessary, I can contact your company directly and let them know what had happened in here.

Thanks.

Brian Kling
Senior III

@XZ​ you are correct that @Community member​ 's "moron" statement was not appropriate, and as he said, he does not represent ST but is a peer in the community. @Amel NASRI​ do you have any insights to offer about the issue?

XZ
Associate II

Brian and Amel,

That's OK. There is no need to further explore this issue any more. I think our case should end up in here for now, full-stop!

1) I thought both commuity members are ST employees, and that was why I was so upset about. No employee has ever behaved in such a rude and unprofessional way on behalf of any company, never! It is clear now that both of them are just volunteers of this community so it is officially off the loop from ST.

2) Community service quality is a very important part of a company. In days with ever-increasing strong competitions, it will eventaully decide which one will be successful and which will fail. I guess you guys know much more than me. As I said, ST products have good a name in industry for its product quality, performance, documentation, and so forth. A quality, healthy customer service community will only increase ST's value and its products!

3) You should welcome more customers to here, not less.

Those are my two cents and thank you very much for your work.

Best regards.

STOne-32
ST Employee

Dear Xiaoguang,

Regarding the Nucleo headers, the best way is to contact our local office at your region, they will be pleased to offer you the best service . you can contact me in private.

Cheers,

STOne-32

XZ
Associate II

@STOne-32​ 

Hi There,

Thank you so much for your offering and I really appreciate it.

I will call your office in CA later.

By the way, I suggest that ST should provide customers with an option for those headers (such as separate parts in the product package). You can increase the price as a result of cost. If someone needs he can just solder them onto the board.

I have searched for quite a while but haven't found anything similar to my F1 and F4 boards.

Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-2-54mm-Male-2x40-Pin-Straight-Double-Row-Pin-Header-Strip-Pin-Length-15mm/171015731590

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2X40-2-54mm-Pin-Header-Double-Row-Male-80P-for-Arduino-DIY-DIP-PCB-Board/132028494654

Samtec will have the exact thing you want, but 70-pin (2x35) isn't standard configuration, and will have a premium price as a result, and navigate a billion options. https://www.samtec.com/connectors/standard-board-to-board/0100-inch-square-post/terminals

Amazon and eBay are awash with header options, and pin lengths. Pick something that works for you and snap to get desired connection count.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
alc6
Associate

Hi there.

I'm sorry to update this thread, but I'm actually facing the same issue. (i.e. trying to get RTT output from H743 to PC).

I understand RTT is about Segger, but still ST talks about a TraceAlyzer compatiblity... which uses RTT.. mainly.

So far, I applied the SWD_Init (thanks for this!), but now facing the same issue XZ faced.

Regards.

alc6
Associate

Just a small update as I found the answer.

So why it was not working: my JLink settings made that he had no clue where the RTT Control Block was.

Locate it through this command in a terminal, being in Release or Debug folder that is present in your project's folder

cat *.map | grep _SEGGER_RTT

Obviously the RTT Block is somewhere after 0x20000000 in most case with this MCU, as my Jlink was trying to find it by itself, the range was not properly set.

So you have to specify that range, I found the answer in J Link user manual (08001) about how to specify that.

As I'm using Eclipse / SW4STM32 / J-LINK plugin, I followed these steps to apply the command string.

Right click on the project,

Debug properties,

Go into the Debug profile you are using (a JLINK one)

Startup Panel,

In Run/Restart commands: enter this: monitor exec SetRTTSearchRanges 0x20000000 0x10000

Now everything properly works on my H743ZI. I have an RTT output when using JLinkRTTClient .

Regards