cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 chip shortage - when are we going to get any version of STM32H745/755 ???

MColl.3
Associate II

I am starting layout with a STM32H745B (208 LQFP) next week for a core part of our new product line. I need a small quantity for prototyping - 10-20 or so.

Distributors are showing 52 weeks delivery for this and all H745 parts. Every version of H7 is showing no stock on the STM webstore, with no predicted availability.

Does anybody know where we can get small quantities of the H745 parts?

I am thinking of laying out both 208 and 240 BGA parts, but not sure if this will help as no parts are available.

I also noticed there is a shortage of development boards. I bought one last month and digikey had about 100 in stock, now, 0.

6 REPLIES 6

>>Does anybody know where we can get small quantities of the H745 parts?

Well you could try your local sales rep or FAE, and see what of their allocation they can spare.

The alternative would be brokers.

The delivery times are driven by actual orders and capacity, so I wouldn't expect free stock at retail distributors, and any available parts to be snapped up quickly.

Mouser looks to have STM32H745I-DISCO and NUCLEO-H755ZI-Q

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
S.Ma
Principal
S.Ma
Principal
LCE
Principal

Right now, for many SC parts, brokers seem to be the only chance for ICs.

With horrendous pricing. We had to pay 330€ for an FPGA - okay, it's expensive anyway with 50€, but heck, we usually paid less than the 330€ for a completely assembled board with >800 components.

Really frustrating.

I should have bought ICs at the beginning of the pandemic. ;-)

Johnny1
Associate III

For me it seems that brokers are part of the problem and not part of the solution for the chip shortage problem. I mean; ST produces chips all the time, but stocks for every STM32 derivate, even exotic ones, from regular distributors are completely empty for months now.

Brokers provide a way for you to get chips that would otherwise gather dust on some customer's stockroom shelves. I'd imagine the bigger demons here would be the hedge funds that have prepaid for parts, well at least the ones that didn't lose their shorts, literally and figuratively, in GME and AMC

>>regular distributors are completely empty for months now.

And why do you think that might be? They have to order into the same 52+ week queue every other consumer of the chips does, servicing people that show up with random unplanned demand, and sell them to those either with outstanding back-orders, or quickly buy the free stock that shows up on the web portals. They'd also likely be tied into No-Cancel, No-Return orders and perhaps prepay for them. Their bankers probably not keen to get that leveraged.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..