cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7: Timers in encoder mode

SRoy
Associate II

I would like to know whether the general purpose timers Timer 1,8,2,3,4,5 in the STM32 F7 series can be configured in encoder mode?

I am doing a comparison between F7 and H7 series Microcontrollers. I need to count my motor rotations through timers in encoder mode instead of interrupt the CPU for each rotation. I came across in the datasheets that for H7,there are 5 low power timers which support encoder mode and in F7 series there is 1 low power timer which supports encoder mode. Hence I would like to whether the general purpose timers in F7 series supports the encoder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SRoy​ ,

1. As answered by @Community member​ , the timers listed in your question can be configured in encoder mode.
  2. There is no need to connect an intermediary IC between the encoder and the MCU: The timer will handle the whole process.

Khouloud.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yes.

Do I need to use any encoder IC along with the General purpose timers to achieve the encoder mode,or the timer is self sufficient to perform the encoder mode action.

Hi @SRoy​ ,

1. As answered by @Community member​ , the timers listed in your question can be configured in encoder mode.
  2. There is no need to connect an intermediary IC between the encoder and the MCU: The timer will handle the whole process.

Khouloud.