Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 Discovery?

mfkfx1
Associate
Posted on September 30, 2014 at 15:43

Hello,

will ST offer a STM32F7 discovery board? If yes, when can we expect it?

Regards
36 REPLIES 36
pedro
Associate II
Posted on July 03, 2015 at 12:23

This may be a stupid question but it is bothering me so I will ask it anyway.

What is the point of having 5 SPI, 4 I2C interfaces and many other peripherals like 18 timers if, from the board pin out, I can only use 2 SPI and one I2C?

Do the other pins have specific connected hardware such that I can´t use those pins for other functions?

What would ST lose by putting and extra header? Would it be useless because of the issues you mentioned about stm32f429 clive?

Thanks
tm3341
Associate II
Posted on July 03, 2015 at 13:12

I have better question for you.

What would be a reason to use STM32F7 device for controling some low stuff, like then servos and some stupid devices? If you need I2C, use F1,2,3,4, no need for F7 here.

F7 series becomes real handy where you have image processing, sound processing, LCD graphics. And that all is included on discovery which is exactly what you need.

Tell me one need for you where you need more external pins as you want to control 5 SPI devices and idk what else.

PS: You can connect unlimited devices to single SPI bus which is for sure available on arduino pin headers.

Just telling you..you are complicating here. 

pedro
Associate II
Posted on July 03, 2015 at 13:50

Yeah, you probably right...

Thanks for clarifying my toughts. I was not thinking of the F7 as a microprocessor for those kind of applications, which are the applications the F7 was designed for.

I used SPI as an example and maybe it was not the best one... I just wanted to say that I may need some pins for some extra I/O and I might not have them. But as you stated for those kind of applications where I need to control a lot of low stuff a F4 F3... will suffice.

Now, I think I will buy an F7 to complement my F4 and to play around.

Thanks

Posted on July 03, 2015 at 17:44

The Arduino connector does present a fair few signals, again perhaps end-running the need for a Nucleo offering.

To your other question, they design the part to be of as general use as possible. The different markets for the part use different subsets of the functionality, rather than all at once, and in some cases use very low pin count devices, again restricting the external escape of many peripherals.

If your application doesn't require external memory, and display, then that cuts the pin usage significantly.

The different peripheral and pin muxing options allow different combinations to be fit in the part. They can also help board designers escape pins in a way that eases layout. The choices are somewhat limited, but there is at least some flexibility.

The peripherals in the STM32 are more generic and lamer than more custom solutions. The fact that the timers only have a single counting element means you need more of them to generate different frequencies. I can see applications that could eat 5-6 USARTs. The parts are designed to appeal to everyone, not just niche groups.

The semi business is about scale, selling vast numbers of the same thing (die), run through the diffusion process in very large batches. While there's a trade off between die size, and parts-per-wafer, you also don't want to be changing the masks around, or reconfiguring the wafer level tester.

Putting the same die in different packages is a lot easier, and then marking them based on how much time you want to spend on the tester vs the sell price. All the F405/407 chips have 1MB of FLASH, some are sold as having 256KB, testing the flash takes a long time, you're going to be able to deliver 4x the quantity of the 256KB parts out of the tester in the same time. As this is a high cost bottleneck, they can price the parts accordingly.
Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
randy
Associate II
Posted on July 04, 2015 at 20:15

Hi guys,

OK the readme.txt says in the demonstration folder to load the binary original firmware (STM32746G-DISCO_Demo_V1.0.1.hex):

- Open STM32 ST-Link Utility V3.6, click on ''External Loader'' from the bar menu then check ''N25Q128A_STM32F746G-DISCO'' box

But the latest stlink utility, does not have this external loader, it only have the external loader for the eval board and not the disco board. Am I missing something? I just downloaded a new stlink utility and it is missing. Does anybody have it? this external loader is needed to load code into the QSPI (external memory).

Cheers,

mehmood
Associate II
Posted on July 07, 2015 at 07:25

Hi,

I ran into the same issue.  I'm not sure if you've downloaded the latest STM32CubeF7 firmware source code from the STM website.  I just updated to Version 1.1 and found the entire STM32F7-Discovery project added to the archive.  

I used the trial version of IAR Workbench (with the unlimited code size) to build the demonstration project.  The Kickstart version won't link the demonstration project so I went to the trial version.  Using IAR Workbench you can build and download the demonstration application.

If you wish to bypass the above method then there is another option.  Just as you did before, you can open the hex file in ST-Link.  When selecting the flash loader, choose ''N25Q256A-STM32469I-EVAL'' loader. This is the closest approximation to the NOR flash that is being used on the STM32F7-Discovery board.  The capacity of the flash part is wrong but the address range for that Flash Loader matches the hex file.

I tried both methods with success.

randy
Associate II
Posted on July 10, 2015 at 07:06

Hi Mehmood,

Thanks for the tip, I tried the N25Q256A-STM32469I-EVAL in STLINK utility with STM32746G-DISCO_Demo_V1.0.1.hex, it programs the internal flash no problem when it is trying to program the external NOR flash it gives the following errors:

Timeout during flash programming

Error occurred during erase operation

Did you power the board externally? Try erasing the first 15 sectors of external flash, and see if that gives you an error. Please remember that if the graphics already loaded by the proper flashloader (previously) into NOR flash, even a failed loading will give the impression that the demo is working ok, because all the graphics are already into external flash.

I checked, there is no jumper to protect NOR flash. That was my first suspect.

Regards.

mehmood
Associate II
Posted on July 11, 2015 at 01:37

Hi ARMGURU,

I owe you a thanks for catching my oversight.  You are absolutely right -- the NOR flash was likely not being erased so the downloaded code appeared to be functioning correctly.  I couldn't find a protection jumper, either.  The Eval board has one but the Discovery board doesn't.  Now I am also wondering if the IAR IDE is also correctly erasing the NOR flash.  I do see it reporting errors during programming but the demo application appears to function correctly.

I think the development tools are still immature for this STM32F7 family.  Even the mbed.org website does not have any port for this Discovery board although it shows it as an available platform.  A lot of the useful sample projects from the STM32CubeF7 have issues with the open source OpenSTM32.org IDE.  It has been a little frustrating working with this board as I probably have been spoiled with other STM32 boards working ''out of the box'' with my preferred IDEs.  Apologies for my rant -- this is probably suitable for a different thread.

Regards.

pedro
Associate II
Posted on July 11, 2015 at 23:22

Finally got the board and tried to put some blinking led code to test it.

I was sucessfull getting the program to run but the TFT LCD is always white without me calling any LCD function. Any ideias why he is not off?

I can post some files if it's needed.

I'm using SW4STM32.

Thanks
Posted on July 12, 2015 at 04:06

Any ideas why he is not off?

I suspect the back-light is hard wired to the supply.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..