Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F446xC/E - Newbie - Help

FabioCC
Associate II

Good morning

I am a newbie about MCUs.

I would like to begin with a STM32F446xC/E MCU and a led blinking small project.

So, I need some help with basic topics.

-Can I put the STM32F446xC/E on a breadboard?

-Can I program the STM32F446xC/E with a Nucleo development board?

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

For a small learning project, the NUCLEO-F446RE board itself is almost ideal. It has a LED and the ST-LINK debugger on-board, and helpful example projects. The board has also connectors for external things. Good luck!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

For a small learning project, the NUCLEO-F446RE board itself is almost ideal. It has a LED and the ST-LINK debugger on-board, and helpful example projects. The board has also connectors for external things. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your answer.

But I need to learn how to program MCUs, so I was asking about that.

-Programming the MCU

-Connecting the MCU

-Let the programmed MCU command the LEDs

STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @FabioCC and welcome to the ST Community .

• The breadboard dimensions are not compatible with MCU Pads and dimension so you can't use it with an MCU.
  • Yes, you can use the ST-LINK of some Nucleo boards to programme your MCU.

For the Led project examples, you can find some of them on the STM32CubeF4.

ST Community is yours! 

Ciao.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Not sure what means the 2nd bullet. The Nulcleo board has documentation useful for learning the board design . 

If you doubt if the Nucleo will be too kindergarten - no worry, this forum provides enough evidence how challenging this little toy can be.

Thanks a lot for the link.

So, I can understand that I can program and connect a development board like this one

https://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/nucleo-f446re.html

To make my first exercises.

I would like also to know (sorry for disturb) how to program and connect a single STM32F446 MCU and developy own circuits / boards. Not on a fixed PCB, if possible. Or can I flash the MCU only AFTER it is placed on a PCB?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @FabioCC 

You can use the Nucleo board you mentionned for test that's sure.

For the MCU programming, it should work fine if you respect all the recommandations of the AN4488.

For other questions, please close this thread when answered by selecting the "accept as solution" button and ask a new one on the community. We are Always here for you.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

@FabioCC Maybe I've misunderstood your question? It was actually how to flash a binary onto standalone STM32 chip, not mounted on a board - rather than how to write a program for a STM32? then please ask a new question, as advised STTwo.

You understood well, but it is better, for a newbie as me, to start with a development board and make the necessary small steps.