cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407 discovery card debug error, Core is held in reset

Melek
Associate II

Now, I was only using the stlink part of the card to program another stm32 microcontroller. While running it in debug mode, I cut off the power of the card and it remained in debug mode all the time, in a way that I cannot understand now, and a connection with the card cannot be established in the cube ide program or utulity, cubeprogrammer programs. I get the error that the card is kept in reset mode. When I feed the NRST pin with 3 volts, I get a short connection. I only reset that much chip, but I think the problem is only in the stlink part. Can anyone help? I hope the problem is understandable, I will add the errors as well. 

The LD1 pin of the card is on green, in this case, the stlink is not recognized in the Cube IDE program, when I remove it and insert it again, the code is not thrown. After the lalin LD1 turns green and red, the steady green light, which is the reset mode, turns on.

The error I get when I try to connect to the utility program is as follows:Can not connect to target!
If you're trying to connect to an STM32W1xx device, please select Normal or HotPlug mode from Target->Settings menu.
If you're trying to connect to a low frequency application , please select a lower SWD Frequency mode from Target->Settings menu.
13:47:06 : Core is held in reset
13:47:19 : Can not connect to target!

7 REPLIES 7
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The third photo does not show how you have connected the other STM32?

However, it can be seen that you have not removed the two jumpers on CN3 so that the STM32F407 is still connected.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Melek
Associate II

Thank you sir, now I will clarify the issue that made you think. In the 3rd photo, I am removing the CN3 pins while connecting it to another card and adding the image of the card I used when trying to program it. Later, with these operations, my STM connection is not recognized on the computer at all. In this process, I did the chip reset operations from the utility program, in order to avoid being in completely debug mode and now I can do the connection process by triggering the NRST pin with 3 volts. It just gives an error normally. The error I get is the same as my previous message. I leave it to the link image. Please help me. Is there a possibility that the card is completely damaged?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

What is this white board that you apparently want to programme or debug?

Which MCU is on it and what do its schematics look like?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Melek
Associate II

Actually, the card it is programmed here is not important, it works, but the card I use as st link gives an error and also the card I programmed is the stm32f072 card, sir.

Melek
Associate II

If you doubt that I made the SWD connections correctly, be sure of this because I was able to connect with this connection for weeks without any problems, but I think it remained in this mode because I cut off the power in debug mode and the stlink is giving an error. Actually, I cannot understand exactly what is causing it. It is a problem that suddenly appears

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

You can only help if you know the relevant details:

• debugger (did you mention)
  • which debug interface is used?
  • how exactly did you connect it?
  • schematics of the target MCU (all pins, i.e. GPIOs, VDD/GND pins etc.)
  • did you connect a working board instead of the white one for testing?

Incidentally, I just realised that you specified the target MCU as STM32F072, but initially referred to it as STM32W1xx. Which one do you want to contact now?

Ok sir, I am using stm32cubeIDE as debugger. I am also trying to connect with the STM32 ST-LINK Utility program. St-Link connection was made by removing the SWD pins of the target MCU and the CN3 jumps of the disvovery card. I give the pins.

Melek_1-1709562274127.png

Melek_2-1709562330819.png

For testing, I tried to program the discovery card itself by inserting the CN3 pins instead of another working card, but I still got an error working in reset mode.