cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK V2 Update error Unexpected flash size

Andreas_Engineer
Associate

Used this ST-Link V2 with W10 some years ago. Now on Linux I want to use it with openocd and got error:

ST-Link version does not support DAP direct transport

Most likely the cable adapter needs update.

But the STLinkUpgrade.jar reported  Unexpected flash size after opening the cable in update mode.

What can I do to use the cable?

26 REPLIES 26

I have exact the same white st-link v2. The cube programmer v2.16.0 with stlinkupgrade v3.13.4 successfully upgraded my debugger to V2J43S7. This firmware version is at least works with cubeIDE v1.15 although it still triggers the upgrade prompt and the unexpected flash error. However, my NUCLEO F446 has no problem at all. It can be perfectly upgraded inside the cubeIDE v1.15.

It seems like the cubeIDE v1.15 is a major and painful upgrade and it already cost me hours to fix a lot of things. It is obviously not a smooth upgrade. Be careful about the ioc migration and make backup. I have experienced a failure after the IDE upgrade. Without changing any code and just migrate the ioc, recompile and flash, totally not working. However, when I reloaded my backup and migrated again, everything worked.

Considering almost everything are free, I would not complain about ST or cubeIDE team. 

tsanders
Associate

After doing a little research, I had the same issue after upgrading to STM32 Cube IDE 1.15.0, I downloaded the ST-Link upgrade utility from here: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html and it brought the firmware to V2.J44.S7. I don't get the error now when going to Debug.  Hope this helps.

I can confirm that this latest version works.

When I last checked, the latest version was 3.14.5 -the same one that ships with STM32 CUBE IDE 1.15.0- so I assume that they will release this new ST-LINK version along with the IDE shortly.

Thks

mengsanqiu
Associate II

I tried downloading a direct debugger upgrade software from the official website to solve the problem.
You can give it a try
Connection: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html?dl=redirect

Try STSW-LINK007

It works, thanks!

I am very happy to be able to help you