Associate II
Posted on June 23, 2008 at 16:38

SAVE THE STM32: an appeal for sanity

33 REPLIES 33
st3
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:35

Quote:

However how many manufacturers do you know that provide firmware library?

Plenty do - and they do it precisely to encourage (potential) customers to use their chips.

Competition in this market is intense - a foul-up like this could easily sway the decision away from ST.

Not only is it stupid in itself, it also tells you something worrying about a company that could even think of doing such a thing!

obtronix
Associate II

Quote:

On 06-06-2008 at 15:37, Anonymous wrote:

So ST firmware library is useless..

Companies can use the executables it in their products, no?

obtronix
Associate II

Quote:

On 06-06-2008 at 23:25, Anonymous wrote:

Quote:

NO. you can't even do that - here it is again:

Quote:

No source code and/or object code relating to and/or based upon Licensed Firmware is to be made available by You to any third party for whatever reason.

source/object code is not the executable, STM allows you to make and sell products with executable (based on their firmware) embedded inside it royalty-free, they just don't want you to sell their source code/obj files (modified or unmodified) to a third party

st3
Associate II

Quote:

Quote:

No source code and/or object code relating to and/or based upon Licensed Firmware is to be made available by You to any third party for whatever reason.

miles
Associate II

Quote:

On 06-06-2008 at 23:25, Anonymous wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The part you quoted I believe falls under the ''RESTRICTIONS'' section, which begins ''Unless otherwise explicitly stated in this Agreement,''. And that follows the ''LICENSE'' section, which is a bit hard to parse, but seems to be the place where they say what you *can* do, as opposed to *can't*.

Number 'iii' under the LICENSE seems to mean you can sell a ''Product'' (as defined in the license) with object code in it. Number 'ii' under the LICENSE refers to how you can use object code (''internally'', whatever that means), and number 'i' refers to how you can use source code. Besides the vague use of 'internal', they also say ''You'', without defining it. Perhaps those are common legal terms?

I'm not planning to use fwlib 2.0 unless it's released under a license that doesn't limit redistribution of derived software (talking about bug-fixes on this forum) and object code (distributing field-loadable SW to customers). Assuming this is just a temporary mixup, and ST is going to be able to get rid of those restrictions, I really hope they will switch to a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OSI_approved_software_licences

instead of further hacking their own. There's dozens out there. Using an existing one (LGPL, BSD, MIT/X11, etc) will save developers a huge headache of trying to figure out what the license means.

jj
Associate II

Hello ST1-

We now have engineers/programmers ''playing lawyer.''

This is not their dominant skill - and IS eroding

the ''design-in'' of STM32 devices.

Both the ''delivery'' and wording of the new license

has caused great upset to your forum community.

Your forum is hugely unhappy - would much prefer

license modeled after those suggested (few posts back.)

In the absence of a more ''reasonable'' license - perhaps

it makes sense to have ST legal explain what we developers

CAN and CANNOT DO! (he who serves as his own lawyer has

a fool for a client)

st3
Associate II

Why does it need any licence at all?

The whole point of providing it is to encourage (potential) customers to use the chips. It should be all about the chips - nobody should have to worry about wading through any licence terms.

All it needs is a sinple disclaimer: ''this software is provided as-is for use entirely at your own risk''

st3
Associate II

Quote:

The whole point of providing it is to encourage (potential) customers to use the chips. It should be all about the chips

For instance, I got this from a distributor yesterday:

Quote:

The STM32 environment allows developers to build applications on a standard core, drawing on a large ecosystem of software and tools. Support for developers includes a new ST evaluation board for the latest models introduced, software and firmware libraries, and a wide variety of compatible third-party tools.

http://www.abacus.co.uk/jkcm/Microcontroller/Focus+Products/STM32+Family+Extension

lanchon
Associate II

@jj

> In the absence of a more ''reasonable'' license - perhaps

it makes sense to have ST legal explain what we developers

CAN and CANNOT DO!

no use; explanations are not binding, only the license is.

@obtronix,

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear all,

Are you talking seriously :| ? or are some among you are engineers from STM competitors to spread a noise propaganda about STM32 ? 🙂

I believe that this license is just done to say that ST Firmware/Software is just for guidance and you can use then re-use for Free as stated before in the headers files but fomatted in a an official way to say that ST does not guarantee a bug free software/firmware and then to avoid claims. But for sure we continue as before taking into account all your enhancements posted on this forum to improve our free-packages and if you you go to version.txt you will see that most of your feedbacks are implemented in version 2.0 of the library and also for others modules.

Anyhow, I will check with my teammates and legal departement at ST what is the purpose and terms of this license ? and then I will keep you posted .... Keep in touch ! 🙂

Cheers,

STOne-32.