cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Keil and F3 discovery

fred27murphy
Associate II
Posted on December 04, 2012 at 13:08

Has anyone else got the F3 discovery working with Keil uVision? The code compiles but when starting a debug session it doesn't seem to deploy and it displays all zeros for the code on the device.

I'm using the latest uVision 4.6 and happily connecting to my F4 discovery so don't think I've made a basic mistake. (Not tried a F0 discovery yet but I will.) I checked the guides and believe everything is set up correctly.

STLink is showing up as expected as a USB device in Win7 and is identified in the debug tab for the project properties. The board is powered up and happily running the demo code.

Any tips? Anyone happily coding away?
12 REPLIES 12
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 05, 2012 at 11:39

If you sell a dev board for about $10 (and give some away free) then you're definitely targetting the hobby market.

That depends on one's definition of ''hobby market''. I'm quite sure that ST mainly targets students, and engineers dealing with competitors uC's. The discovery boards are IMHO not

appropriate for beginners. They require a certain level of experience, else they tend to induce frustration. Boards like Arduino are better in this case.

That's an expensive mistake. Do it properly or don't do it at all. I'm happy to put in a bit of effort to get this working but your average Arduino user may not.

Just have a look at the STM32xx eval boards. They cost one order of magnitude more, but they are intended for exactly the audience ST wants to impress.

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on December 08, 2012 at 11:43

But to return to the original problem:

Out of curiosity, I tried my F3 discovery board today, and did not have any problems. The board is equipped with a Z revision controller, and had been dropped on my desk by ST sales afew days before official release.

However, I tried with Crossworks, and under Linux.

EDIT:

Tried the same under Windows (7), and failed. Both Keil (V4.60) and Crossworks came up with ''unknown MCU target''. Letting update Windows the stlink driver didn't help.

rx
Associate
Posted on January 30, 2013 at 01:24

Not sure if you got this fixed, but for anyone else that stumbles across this thread:

After banging my head against the wall for about an hour or so, I discovered that there are some discrepancies between the firmware files that ST offers and how ST describes uVision4 should be set up in the ''Getting Started'' PDF.

Using the Demo.uvproj file:

In the Target Options menu, navigate to the Debug tab and ensure that it's set to useST-Link Debugger. Click Settings, and ensure that in the Debug Adaptor box, the port is set to SW (Demo.uvproj as-is has this set to JTAG.) At this point, in the SW Device box to the right you should see ARM CoreSight SW DP. Click OK.

Navigate to the Utilities tab, ensure that under Use Target Driver for Flash Programming, it is set to ST-Link Debugger. Click Settings, and in the Programming Algorithm box, click Add, and select STM32F3xx Flash - On-chip Flash - 256k. Click Add in this window as well.

After all this, rebuild your target files and start a debugging session, it should flash fine afterwards.

EDIT: Updating the ST-Link firmware couldn't hurt either.