Associate II
Posted on September 15, 2009 at 20:02

Pricing of the various IDE/tools for STM32

31 REPLIES 31
vincentchoplin9
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:01

Hi,

jschatz, the RLink that is inside the primer cannot be used for production. In fact it cannot be used with anything else than the STM32 that is inside the primer. For production you should use the stand-alone RLink. You can use the Standard or Pro, as the 32K limitation of the Standard version is only on debugging, not on programming, see below. (the standard RLink is almost the same price as the primer, and it can also work with ST7, STM8, etc.)

relaxe, lil-vince is correct about the implementation of the limitation of the Standard RLink. You can debug applications that use up to 32K of Flash and 32K of RAM. So in fact it's 64K 😉 ...except that initialized data uses space in both Flash and RAM, and there is the stack too. You can compile larger applications (of course we do not limit GCC) and download them to the Flash, (programming is never limited) but not debug them. (for that you need the Pro version)

Finally, relaxe, please note that the Raisonance prices (and some others too, I guess) are 'stable' in Euro, not in Dollars. So if you want your table of prices to remain correct in the coming few months as the currencies evolve, I think you should mention that.

Best Regards,

Vincent, Raisonance

[ This message was edited by: VincentC on 04-03-2009 11:48 ]

[ This message was edited by: VincentC on 04-03-2009 11:51 ]

[ This message was edited by: VincentC on 04-03-2009 11:53 ]

blipton
Associate

I tried Crossworks2 and the NXP LPC2000 CPU support package 1.2, and was never able to get it to 'halt the target' using an olimex arm-usb-tiny jtag debugger.

I've got a working setup using eclipse and openocd, but the insight debugger is painful. Anyone who is used to working with more polished debuggers will find the tool to be a decade behind the curve.

I'm looking for a software package that will work with the olimex arm-usb-tiny on an lpc2148 board ( or a Cirrus Logic EDB9302 board). Anyone try Green Hills MULTI or Keil with the usb-tiny?

The Anglia seems like it only works with ARM from ST, is this true? I like the price, but if I'm going to invest time and money, I'd like something that will work with any arm.

st3
Associate II

Quote:

Does anybody know if the R-LINK (32k limited version) from Raisonance IDE is supported in other environments

Almost certainly not.

All of these debug adaptors - RLink, uLink, JLink, et al - tend to be proprietary and closed.

guyvo67
Associate II

hi all,

Does anybody know if the R-LINK (32k limited version) from Raisonance IDE is supported in other environments like eclipse (OCD) or keil ?

-G

st3
Associate II

Quote:

J-link can be used with almost every debug sw

Ah, you may well be right there.

The RLink is definitely proprietary to Raisonance, and the uLink is definitely proprietary to Keil but, now that you come to mention it, I think the ''IAR'' JLink is actually just a ''badged'' product from a 3rd party - and they provide support for the other, non-IAR tools...

slawcus
Associate II

J-link can be used with almost every debug sw: gdb, IAR, keil, Rowley,...

Except for RVDS v3.1 and newer.

raptorhal
Associate II

Here is an inexpensive development configuration that is currently working well for me:

Anglia IDEaliST V1.61 plus Tools V1.62

FTDI MProg3.5 utility (to set dongle device ID/Code)

Olimex ARM USB OCD load/debug dongle

My design PCB with STM32F105RCT6 processor

My cost is a reasonable $69 for the dongle. I also have a PCB cost, but that is independent of the tool selection.

IDEaliST is not code limited. It uses the Insight user interface for the OpenOCD debugger. The only significant disadvantages to IDEaliST is that it does not have the V3 Firmware Library yet, and support is minimal if you are not an Anglia customer.

Cheers, Hal

slawcus
Associate II

Quote:

definitely proprietary to Keil but, now that you come to mention it, I think the ''IAR'' JLink is actually just a ''badged'' product from a 3rd party - and they provide support for the other, non-IAR tools...

Yes, it's badged. JLink is a Segger product. They make special versions for IAR and Atmel (SAM-ICE).

martindavey9
Associate II

I work for the same company which produces the Idealist toolchain. www.anglia.com/software.asp

We are developing a microcontroller plugin for codeblocks which supports OpenOCD. It allows you to select a micro, and automatically generates the OpenOCD script, and launch/control OpenOCD automatically. It is currently being tested, and need to add a few more features like option bytes etc...

My personal opinion is that the simulation features present in Keil and IAR can be very valuable.

Also OpenOCD at the moment is yet to support SWD.

I think it's sensible to say in our experience, unless you take the time understand GCC and OpenOCD enough, you can get in a bit of a mess.

st3
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:02

Quote:

it's sensible to say in our experience, unless you take the time understand GCC and OpenOCD enough, you can get in a bit of a mess.

I think it's fair to say that the same is true of any software development tools!

[rant]

Too many people look at the gadgets available today, see that they are small, cheap, and easy to use - and jump to the false conclusion that they must, therefore, be easy to make!

[/rant]