cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PMSM Vector Control (FOC) code size limit?

dominik
Senior
Posted on October 08, 2014 at 16:55

Hi

I'm working with an STM32F407 and the IAR embedded workbench.

I use the PMSM Vector Control Library from ST and was working with the 32kB code Size limited IAR Embedded Workbench. Now I'm working on an other system without code size limit, and if I compile the project with revuild all I get the same Error with the Code size limit. Are the Library CodeSize Limited? How can I work with the ST Librarys without code size limit? Do I have to compile them with a code size free version? But how? I^m really in troble so if anyone has any idea please post it.

Best Regards
4 REPLIES 4
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on October 09, 2014 at 08:57

You might need to present more information about your new ''other system''.

Such codesize limitations are usually implemented in the linker, loader and debug subsystem of your IDE. The codesize-limited versions of IAR WB will not allow you load external built applications to circumvent that restriction.

dominik
Senior
Posted on October 11, 2014 at 11:02

Im working with the V6.30 with a dongle licence.

I can compile but I have the same 32k limit Error. I think it's because of the PMSM Motor control library but how can I recompile this lib with my full dongle version?

Thanks

dominik
Senior
Posted on October 11, 2014 at 11:04

-> Such codesize limitations are usually implemented in the linker, loader and debug subsystem of your IDE. The codesize-limited versions of IAR WB will not allow you load external built applications to circumvent that restriction.

And how can I disable them? I have a full IAR workbench licence and the same Error!

jj2
Associate II
Posted on October 11, 2014 at 12:43

Might one of several scenarios be in play - your dilemma?

a) Your newer (unlocked) IDE is not fully nor properly engaged when running your FOC project - instead (when you likely) select ''Recent Projects'' your older (locked) version of IAR loads!  (we've seen just this - more than once - @ clients)

b) Your newer (unlocked) IDE is fully & properly engaged - but as you question/suggest - something w/in this FOC project is improperly impacting. (I see this as a ''long shot.'')

c) Somewhere w/in IAR's file structure - past code-size limit ''marker'' lives on. (likely suspects - one of the .ewx files built by IAR)

My suspicion (a and/or c) most likely. 

Does that older (locked) version of IAR still ''live'' (or has it ever lived) on your current machine?  Having both locked/unlocked together may be your issue - I'd properly remove that past, locked version.

With the newer (unlocked) version running - I'd perform a completely new build - watching especially for date-code changes to the .ewx files.  It may be that you have to delete certain of these .ewx files - caution - be sure to save all of them in a different location - just in case.

As an intermediate check - perhaps you can ''combine'' source code from several known good IAR projects - such that you exceed that 32KB (past) limit.  When you save this new, blended project - does it ''escape'' that dreaded 32KB size violation flag?  If so - indeed your new (unlocked) installation is working and it (most likely) proves that some past remnant of the (locked) version remains.

Mystery is your (bit inexact) writing which suggests that FOC built & ran correctly even when code-size limited.  Unexplained is why (now) that code size has been exceeded - or even if that's the (real) case...

Insufficient detail/project history limits remote diagnosis...