cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-NUCLEO-LRWAN2 won't communicate with PC via USB

SHers
Associate III

I've purchased an LRWAN2 kit for an upcoming ST workshop, and I wanted to make sure I can set the RF band, etc. when the time comes.

I've followed the setup instructions in UM2587 rev 2, the "Getting Started" guide, and I get the following power and status LEDs on the board: LD1, LD3, LD4, LD6; Section 6.1 on page 29 mentions only LD4 and LD6.

When I plug my PC into the base board's CN13. LD8 on the base board lights up, but I do NOT get USB serial comms. Windows 10 doesn't detect anything connected to the USB ports and doesn't enumerate the USB serial adapter.

I've verified the cables, the USB ports on my laptop, and my ability to connect to the ST-Link at the other end of the demonstration board, but the unit is not operating as stated, and I doubt I'll be able to finish the workshop with this setup.

ST, I need help here.

6 REPLIES 6

You might need to power via CN1, or update the ST-LINK firmware, if the STM32F767 is being held in reset. ST goes back-n-forth on this issue

There may be a jumper or SB you can remove in that regard. SB111 at a guess

If CN13 isn't connecting either the firmware on the F767 does not support that, or is not running.

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SHers
Associate III

Thanks!

Power is present, and it's pretty definitely not being held in reset, because pressing reset makes the LEDs go out briefly and then come back on (except LD6, "PWR," which stays reasuringly lit). First LD3 goes on, then after a second, LD1. This suggests that some kind of firmware is running. Whether it's the right firmware or not is a more vexed question. Unplugging the ST-link-Nucleo jumpers has no effect either.

On the hardware side, the solder joints and USB connector appear fine. Since the LD8 LED lights up when the USB cable is plugged in, I'm guessing there's a firmware issue. And naturally, there's no way to get a replacement firmware image until the workshop starts and I can post a query on the meeting chat. We'll see how that goes...

I'll check the FW loads I have on the boards here. Won't be until later.

On the ST-LINK (CN1) side it should be a drag-n-drop of the .BIN file to program the concentrator/gateway firmware.

Are you sure it's not using the ST-LINK side VCP for the COM port?

SHers
Associate III

Well, it's not SUPPOSED to be doing that, but BINGO. That's what it IS doing. Thanks for suggesting that!

SHers
Associate III

So, to make this easer for the search engines, the latest P-NUCLEO-LRWAN2 firmware requires you to plug your USB COM port cable into the ST-LINK CN1 connector, not the USB connector on the Nucleo itself that is labeled "CN13 User."

Ok, this is an old set of FW I pulled from the old stock of the board. I'd pull these in June 2021 based on a request from someone else here.

Will pull a newer set of images off the board DigiKey shipped the other week for the workshop.

The workshop itself might provide some newer/contemporary ones, as I said this should be a drag-n-drop exercise. Not sure if there are MAC address settings in there.