cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of write cycles to STM32F030 flash memory

Posted on December 21, 2016 at 17:32

I am using the STM32F030, what is the minimum number of write cycles i can make to flash memory for my configuration data?

Also what would it be for the STM32L073RZ?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Posted on December 21, 2016 at 19:37

Clive One wrote:

Not sure the 1K vs 10K impacts tester time,

Maybe yes, maybe not, I don't know (although I have imagination enough to produce unsubstantiated theories in both ways :-) ).

I just mentioned it as a relatively extreme measure to cut down the price, as it certainly has negative impact on usability e.g. in missing some of the calibration constants as compared to other 'F0.

Jan

Posted on December 21, 2016 at 20:00

I spent some time working with Philips IC Test and QA groups

I don't know the methodologies at ST, but suspect there will be some die level testing, and packaged testing. The wafer is also likely to have some parametric cells or test sites, and a singular device or sample might be more intensively tested than others.

I think the factors impacting flash test time will be the time to perform a parallel erase (mass erase), and then how many of the sectors are subsequently tested in some kind of high/low write patterns. The F4 1MB and 2MB die being quite expensive in seconds on the test machine. The choice to make 256KB parts resulting from a choice not to spend time testing beyond that, rather than binning devices failing at some point below the full capacity.

I'm leaning toward the cost driver for the F0 playing a role in the design choices and less redundancy in the flash array, which shrinks the die size, and increases the die per wafer.

The FLASH+RAM using a significant area of the die, the peripheral logic also being quite large with respect to the Cortex-M0 core itself.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on December 22, 2016 at 08:07

I can confirm that Cortex M0 devices had been offered by ST to one of my former companies at that price.

More than 3 years ago, they were F05x, if I remember correctly.

On average, you get what you pay for.

Posted on December 22, 2016 at 10:31

Thanks for everyone's help.

I think i will look at another pin compatible device to the STM32F030, such as the STM32L07X.

Thanks