cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need support to use serial monitor in arduino ide or in putty through SWD pins PA13 and PA15 in STM32 Nucleo L152RE Board

ASing.28
Associate II

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bj8E4QAI.png 

12 REPLIES 12

SWD pins are PA13/PA14, the SWO/SWV would be PB3

This isn't how Arduino does serial monitor in any case.

You'd typically use the on-board ST-LINK/V2-1 and it's VCP/CDC implementation.

The stand-alone board doesn't support USART connectivity.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ASing.28
Associate II

Okay thanks ! then what should i do for the Serial monitor or debugging ?

Use the connection on the NUCLEO board itself, or if you've broken that find a USB to CMOS Serial Dongle, like those from SiLabs.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The blue fake ST-LINK/V2 shown in the picture of the setup, which almost certainly does not contain an STM32, regularly leads to problems because something does not work. Because of the problems, people here in the community keep asking for help, but at least STMicroelectronics cannot provide it - simply because the tool is an illegal replica that ST neither knows about nor has manufactured, nor can take responsibility for.

As @Community member​  has mentioned, the NUCLEO-L152RE shown in the photo has an ST-LINK/V2-1 debugger, i.e. even original and fully functional and not restricted ST-LINK, with which you can debug and program without further aids (ok, only the mini-USB cable and a host computer are necessary).

Did you know that you can also break off this ST-LINK/V2-1 from the NUCLEO and use it stand-alone, just like the blue fake - only without the housing and of course fully functional and legal?

Details on this can be found, for example, in UM1724, section 6.2.3.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjB9NQAU.pngBut Still not working with also

You've pictured a jumble.of wires, what are we supposed to do with that??

Identify what is connected to what with a diagram or schematic.

The On-Board ST-LINK/V2-1 used with the NUCLEO has a UART VCP connection, WHY aren't you using that?

Explain what you're doing BETTER..​

Well, we were talking about the already existing ST-LINK/V2-1, NOT another external ST-LINK/V2.

Regardless of the fact that you are not 100% sure that you don't have a clone again, all we see is a mighty tangle of wires - what are we supposed to contribute to a solution if we

• don't know how you wired and
  • can't check for ourselves?

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Because I want to make own pcb for my project and i only want to use STM32 MCU , I am trying that if it is possible to make pcb only with STM32 MCU without using ST-LINK that's why i want to use GPIO pins for programming and debugging

I followed the connections described in ST LINK data sheet

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bjBI4QAM.png