cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a driver for USB to CAN for Windows 11 Arm

grisom
Associate II

Hi I am new here. I am looking for a driver for Windows 11 Arm (parallels M1).

The chip on my board says STM32F105. The driver that worked for me last time on other Windows was:  dpinst_amd64

Can someone advise a driver for Windows 11 Arm (running Parallels Desktop on M1) Thanks 

10 REPLIES 10

a) That's not a driver, but an installer

b) You have some third party CAN adapter using an STM32F105, ST didn't write the firmware the vendor put on there, you'll need to track down the vendor and the drivers they furnish for their USB-to-CAN adapter.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Hey, Thanks for reply.

Vendor of the board send me here saying they didn't write any firmware. It is actually a 1 man company. So is it a way how to find something that will help me based on previous installer? I can send a file or tell details of the installer. 

BTW it is funny as this is required for Tesla work 🙂

grisom
Associate II

So does anyone can advise driver for STM32F105 ?

grisom
Associate II

OK, so I contacted with a manufacturer again, and he said: basically I am using a StarterKit stm32f105. The problem is with connection of this starter kit by USB on Windows 11 ARM when I use examples of your code for working with USB in VCP mode, which came with your kit.

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeF1/tree/master/Projects/STM3210C_EVAL/Applications/USB_Device

A CDC would come up as a serial port, likely usable with USBSER.SYS, in years before you could munge the .INF files to associate the VID/PID with the USB Device

https://github.com/cturvey/RandomNinjaChef/blob/main/arduino_mbed_rp2040.inf

A MSC should come up as a Flash Stick

How CAN would work/manifest is anyone's guess, it's not a protocol/class inherently supported by Windows/Microsoft. The "firmware" would need to forward or translate USB traffic (URB) into CAN interactions.

How would this work on say a X86 Windows or Linux box?

 OK, I give up. Unfortunately I am not an IT guru. I need only this to be installed: 

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 18.48.25.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 18.52.56.png

Thanks for the information above, but I am really can't understand it

Go fish STMCDC.INF out of your \WINDOWS\INF directory, and figure out how to add a [DeviceList.xyz] node for your ARM installation, perhaps browse other working .INF files?

Should be a Microsoft USBSER.SYS device for ARM. Check what the .INF for the "ARM PL011" looks like. Say use "grep" or some file manager of your choosing.

This ones got suitable nodes for X86 and X64

https://github.com/LORD-MicroStrain/Drivers/blob/master/Windows/Inertial/ST_VCOM/stmcdc.inf

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Is it this "starter kit"?  https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2308485.pdf

The "USB serial device (COM3)" can be usbser.sys, not sure what is the "USB2CAN".

Using a normal Intel/AMD PC is the best, simple, cheap way to deal with this device. A custom Windows driver is possible but a Windows laptop may cost you less.

Well most of the Windows DDK tended to be C, with perhaps some C++ creeping in at the end of my tenure. I'd wager it would just need a recompilation as the driver stuff for USB would mostly be about managing data and whatever the USB Class needed, or funnelling requests from user space. So recompilation to ARM, MIPS, ALPHA, or whatever.

Now my guess would be there's some user space application that facilitates interaction with the driver, or USB, perhaps IOCTL's. Unfortunately CAN is of little functional utility on Windows, so beyond doing firmware updates, or a company doing "CAN Tools" as a business, or people in the modding / tuning scene, I don't suppose Microsoft's going to be facilitating much.

One can't readily make signed .CAT files, but the .INF are mostly about being a chameleon and formulate the script sufficiently to get the driver installed. One could do that directly via the registry and copying files, but that's obviously been complicated by all the AV and exploits over the last decade or two.