cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSE Drive

JJRR
Senior

Hi,

I have questions about LSE Drive (STM32L0).

1) In RCC register are LSEDRV[1:0] bits and I am not sure if I understand it corretly.

From datasheet about these bits: They are cleared by a power-on reset or an RTC reset. Once “00�? has been written, the content of LSEDRV cannot be changed by software.

It means once I set them to zero then I can not change it in SW again?

2) My crystal has only params like: ESR, DriveLevel (min,max), Cshunt, Cload. How Can I calculate drive level when I do not know nothing about Gmcritical_max, also I do not have current probe to measure current in crystal?

Thank you very much. Jan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bouraoui Chemli
ST Employee

Hi,

1) As mentioned in Reference manual RM0377 Rev 10 section 7.2.5 LSE clock, The crystal oscillator driving strength can be changed at runtime through the LSEDRV[1:0]. So, you can change it by software.

I will rise an internal request to remove this note (They are cleared by a power-on reset or an RTC reset. Once “00�? has been written, the content of LSEDRV cannot be changed by software) from reference manual.

2) Please refer to AN2867 "Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S, STM32 MCUs and MPUs "to calculate gmcrit(crystal) and compare it with Gmcrit_max(MCU). Special focus on sections 3.3 Load capacitance and 3.4 Oscillator transconductance.

Bouraoui

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Bouraoui Chemli
ST Employee

Hi,

1) As mentioned in Reference manual RM0377 Rev 10 section 7.2.5 LSE clock, The crystal oscillator driving strength can be changed at runtime through the LSEDRV[1:0]. So, you can change it by software.

I will rise an internal request to remove this note (They are cleared by a power-on reset or an RTC reset. Once “00�? has been written, the content of LSEDRV cannot be changed by software) from reference manual.

2) Please refer to AN2867 "Oscillator design guide for STM8AF/AL/S, STM32 MCUs and MPUs "to calculate gmcrit(crystal) and compare it with Gmcrit_max(MCU). Special focus on sections 3.3 Load capacitance and 3.4 Oscillator transconductance.

Bouraoui