cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Layer Library, first impressions

Posted on September 18, 2015 at 01:12

As announced by Jasmine in https://my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/DispForm.aspx?ID=57714&RootFolder=%2fpublic%2fSTe2ecommunities%2fmcu%2fLists%2fcortex%5fmx%5fstm32%2fHAL%20gpio%20libary%20code%20bug&Source=https%3A%2F%2Fmy%2Est%2Ecom%2Fpublic%2FSTe2ecommunities%2Fmcu%2FLists%2Fcortex%5Fmx%5Fstm32... , the Low Layer ehm API is available in the current 'L4xx Cube

http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF261908 - and it's not even ''next week''! 🙂 A whopping 200MB zip, for those who are curious; although the LL-related content is one order of magnitude less (and the vast majority of it are the examples). For real content, look into STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.1.0\Drivers\STM32L4xx_HAL_Driver\Inc\, filenames of the stm32l4xx_ll_***.h style (i.e. containing ''ll''); there are two more files in ..\Src, too. Documentation - portions of both STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.1.0\Documentation\STM32CubeL4GettingStarted.pdf and the doxygen-autovomited STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.1.0\Drivers\STM32L4xx_HAL_Driver\STM32L486xx_User_Manual.chm - does not depart from the style and quality of the rest of Cube. Examples in STM32Cube_FW_L4_V1.1.0\Projects\STM32L476RG-Nucleo\Examples_LL\. . An excerpt from the ''blinkey'' example, to get the feeling of it (doxygen-style comment/headers omitted):

int
main(
void
)
{
/* Configure the system clock to 80 MHz */
SystemClock_Config();
/* -2- Configure IO in output push-pull mode to drive external LED */
Configure_GPIO();
/* Toggle IO in an infinite loop */
while
(1)
{
LL_GPIO_TogglePin(LED2_GPIO_PORT, LED2_PIN);
/* Insert delay 250 ms */
LL_mDelay(250);
}
}
__STATIC_INLINE 
void
Configure_GPIO(
void
)
{
/* Enable the LED2 Clock */
LED2_GPIO_CLK_ENABLE();
/* Configure IO in output push-pull mode to drive external LED2 */
LL_GPIO_SetPinMode(LED2_GPIO_PORT, LED2_PIN, LL_GPIO_MODE_OUTPUT);
LL_GPIO_SetPinOutputType(LED2_GPIO_PORT, LED2_PIN, LL_GPIO_OUTPUT_PUSHPULL);
LL_GPIO_SetPinSpeed(LED2_GPIO_PORT, LED2_PIN, LL_GPIO_SPEED_LOW);
LL_GPIO_SetPinPull(LED2_GPIO_PORT, LED2_PIN, LL_GPIO_PULL_NO);
}
__STATIC_INLINE 
void
SystemClock_Config(
void
)
{
/* MSI configuration and activation */
LL_FLASH_SetLatency(LL_FLASH_LATENCY_4);
LL_RCC_MSI_Enable();
while
(LL_RCC_MSI_IsReady() != 1) 
{
};
/* Main PLL configuration and activation */
LL_RCC_PLL_ConfigDomain_SYS(LL_RCC_PLLSOURCE_MSI, LL_RCC_PLLM_DIV_1, 40, LL_RCC_PLLR_DIV_2);
LL_RCC_PLL_Enable();
LL_RCC_PLL_EnableDomain_SYS();
while
(LL_RCC_PLL_IsReady() != 1) 
{
};
/* Sysclk activation on the main PLL */
LL_RCC_SetAHBPrescaler(LL_RCC_SYSCLK_DIV_1);
LL_RCC_SetSysClkSource(LL_RCC_SYS_CLKSOURCE_PLL);
while
(LL_RCC_GetSysClkSource() != LL_RCC_SYS_CLKSOURCE_STATUS_PLL) 
{
};
/* Set APB1 & APB2 prescaler*/
LL_RCC_SetAPB1Prescaler(LL_RCC_APB1_DIV_1);
LL_RCC_SetAPB2Prescaler(LL_RCC_APB2_DIV_1);
/* Set systick to 1ms in using frequency set to 80MHz */
/* This frequency can be calculated through LL RCC macro */
/* ex: __LL_RCC_CALC_PLLCLK_FREQ(__LL_RCC_CALC_MSI_FREQ(LL_RCC_MSIRANGESEL_RUN, LL_RCC_MSIRANGE_6), 
LL_RCC_PLLM_DIV_1, 40, LL_RCC_PLLR_DIV_2)*/
LL_Init1msTick(80000000);
/* Update CMSIS variable (which can be updated also through SystemCoreClockUpdate function) */
LL_SetSystemCoreClock(80000000);
}

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's essentially a bunch of macros/static inline functions, barely doing anything else than renaming simple register accesses. Now I completely fail to understand the reason to do that, so there must be something wrong with me. JW #grammer-nazis
21 REPLIES 21
ax0018
Associate III
Posted on October 29, 2015 at 07:26

I totally agree. I used STM32 for years. At least, HAL was an attempt to offer a more or less consistent approach. Now they started adding unnecessary fragmentation again: Snippets, SPL, HAL, LL - is there a more confusing way? KISS principle is completely ignored.