cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues writing float data to UART

JayDev
Senior II

Hello everyone!

Ran into some issues writing float data to the UART. I know with Nordic, there was some weird workaround that had to be used to convert it that looked something like this:

NRF_LOG_INFO("MLX90393 X = " NRF_LOG_FLOAT_MARKER "\r", NRF_LOG_FLOAT(*x));

I wasn't sure if there was some other trick for this, if there's a project related setting that is required to make use of floating point (in case it's disabled by default or something to that effect, etc). I tried finding one but didn't seem to find one in the project options.

Anyway, this is my current attempt at resolving the issue:

void write_mlx90393_to_uart(float x, float y, float z)
{
	x = 250.3;
	y = -112.3;
	z = 15.214;

char x_str[30];
	char y_str[30];
	char z_str[30];

sprintf(x_str, "X: %f", x);
	sprintf(y_str, "Y: %05.2f \n", y);
	sprintf(z_str, "Z: %05.2f \n", z);

debugPrintln(&huart1, x_str);
	debugPrintln(&huart1, y_str);
	debugPrintln(&huart1, z_str);
}

I expected it would convert it but the output for x_str is:

"X: \0\230\0\0 \224\0\0 \204\001\a\030N\0\002\0>\a\0\030\022ÿÿÿÿÿ"

or 

0x2002ffa8

Had to hardcode the values in this function to even test this as the values aren't being passed to the function as I would've expected. One problem at a time though! Heh . . .

Any suggestions you guys can point me towards would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Does debugPrintln print in blocking mode or in interrupt? If it's in interrupt mode then your x_str and other variables which are local, will be destroyed when leaving your write_mlx90393_to_uart function. In some instances the variable may still hold their values, but don't count on it.

Also as @TDK mentions, your sprintf prints looks to have some values that are 11 to 12 characters, beyond your declared array of 10. I would change the array size to 16.

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. If you find my answers useful, click the accept button so that way others can see the solution.