brj
Associate II
Posted on October 05, 2008 at 10:22

IAR 5.20 and pre silicon rev Y

39 REPLIES 39
brj
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:44

> As I feared one can not generate binaries with 5.20 that are compatible with pre rev Y silicon.

IAR TN:

Q5 Can I use anyway IAR EWARM V5.20 and Rev Z and Rev B of STM32 medium density device if everything works fine?

No, we advise to use only Rev Y with IAR EWARM V5.20.

So they dont recommend it ! But I agree we still dont know what the real problem is, and I dont support this kind of secrecy either. But I am not going to ship firmware developed with 5.20 on pre rev Y devices, even though it may seem to be working correctly.

I have to be sure !

jj
Associate II

''MAY'' not be compatible with rev. B & Z...

That thorough, that detailed, that ''confident'' an answer certainly convinces me!

lanchon
Associate III

> I asked IAR ... the binaries generated by v5.20 may not be compatible with rev. B & Z.

good job there Ryan, now you got us all shivering in terror!

it sort of reminds me of the microsoft upgrade treadmill: their current product is state of the art best-in-class until the new version is out, at which point it's not recommended that you use the old one anymore because of it having so many problems...

ryan2399
Associate II

That was the best answer they seem to have been able to come up with for a very specific question... Was I not clear enough?

''Is this a case where programming the MCU via EWARM will not work properly or are the binaries generated by EWARM 5.20 incompatible with rev. B and Z silicon?

e.g. Generating a Motorola S-Record with EWARM 5.20 that can be used to

update our rev B product in the field using our own bootloader and the

serial port would work; while trying to program the part through EWARM 5.20 and the JTAG or SWI would likely fail.''

Ryan

jj
Associate II

Ryan - you have always tried to be informative/helpful. Most of us are distressed with the ''lack'' of regular, visible effort by ST & toolmaker.

If the tables were reversed - and our payments exhibited such ''errata'' - I wonder if ST/toolmakers would be ''content'' with such response...

ryan2399
Associate II

So I received some clarification re: my question. To paraphrase...

1) Code generated by v5.20 may not work on rev. B or Z. No further information is available.

2) The details of the actual problem are not being released at this time. (as most of us have figured out already)

...3 more days until vacation... I really need it...

16-32micros
Associate III

Hi All,

Your discussion and raised points are very interesting, This makes me obliged to ask my team mates in charge of the STM32 design and get clear explanations, I will let you know by this Friday (CET) latest the final statement from ST.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

jj
Associate II

Hi STOne-32,

Again thank you. Know that you are ''caught in the middle'' - between anxious STM32 users and your STM32 development team-mates.

When our STM32 does not perform - either as the data sheet states - or what we believe to be, ''normal & customary'' - we users are in trouble.

For clarity I will summarize what I believe to be the most ''recent'' thrust of this thread:

a) for ''only'' IAR 5.20 users - IAR & ST ''hint'' that we are to use only Rev Y. We are concerned by the lack of real specifics - as engineers, programmers we are ''detail-guys'' - we become unsettled by vagueness.

So - please identify the most-likely ''issues'' we IAR 5.20 users will enounter should we use our existing stock of ''pre Rev Y'' STM devices. As this forum shows - we are motivated/resourceful - IF we know what to look for we may discover/develop a work-around...

b) for ''all others'' (those not using IAR 5.20). Does Rev Y offer any benefits for this group? (I always like to use newest - in the assumption/hope that it is most complete/most correct)

Believe that I've got this right - my intention is to aid STOne-32's effort.

lanchon
Associate III

> good job there Ryan, now you got us all shivering in terror!

I'm sorry Ryan, I was trying to be funny but obviously I wasn't. you did do a great job getting that answer. but it just bothered me that the implications of the answer you got were kind of spooky...

ryan2399
Associate II

Hmm... I totally got the joke. No need to apologize for anything. My comment about ''Was I not clear enough?'' was not directed at anyone here... I was refering to the question I posed to IAR about the issue...

Cheers folks...