cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm experimenting with a STFM32F413-DISCO.

IWhit.2
Associate II

I have a programme running under Cube IDE. How can I run the MCU and its peripherals without powering up the ST-Link and its components on the DISCO board. Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Petr DAVID
ST Employee

Hello IWhit.2,

first of all I would like to welcome you to our community. I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but if you do not want to power your board through the ST link usb connector, which causes that the ST link is also powered up, then you can use different power sources for the MCU. Check out the user manual for the board UM2135. Chapter 5.2.3 Power supply.

For example you can use use the other usb connector on the board for powering the MCU or Arduino connector for powering with external supply 7-12V DC power. You can select different power sources with jumper position on JP3.

After selecting power source you should desolder solderbridge SB2 which connects power supply with ST-Link. You can check out the schematic here .

If I have answered your question and you have find my answer useful, please click on Select as Best. This will help other users with the same problem to find the solution faster!

IWhit.2
Associate II

Hi David, Thanks so much for the fast turnaround, very much appreciated. I want to use the board in a battery powered application and make use of the STM32's shutdown capability to reduce maximise lifetime when the processor isn't needed. I've got the shutdown working fine thanks to some good documentation but I couldn't see how to power the board without also powering the on board ST-Link components (which aren't needed). Referring to the PWR TREE in the schematic MB1724, I can power the board with +5V from the Arduino connector on the 5V pin. If the jumper on JP3 is then left off (same as desoldering SB2) it leaves the ST-Link components unpowered. All good but, the problem is the unpowered ST-Link MCU pulls down T_NRST and NRST thereby keeping the processor in its reset state. I can fudge ways around this but being newish to this device I wanted to be sure I'm not missing something and there's an easy solution to simply disable the ST-Link for stand alone deployment that doesn't involve too much modification or soldering. Best regards, Ian

Petr DAVID
ST Employee

Hello IWhit.2,

I understand the question, but unfortunately on this board there will these HW changes necessary to disconnect the ST-Link. Let me know if you will have further questions.

Best regards.