cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have STM32F407VET6 black and i am trying to setup serial communication with this device

SRath.4
Associate II

In my laptop device manager this device only shows up as stm32 bootloader and not as virtual com port or anything else to communicate , Can anyone help please! as trhere's not much help available regarding this same controller,

17 REPLIES 17
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

I have already mentioned it a few times: here, no one can make a safe statement for the chip on a device from a board manufacturer until it is certain that the chip is actually from STMicroelectronics.

However, I must clarify one of my statements: an ST-LINK alone is no guarantee for a functioning VCP. A VCP consists of two things: on the one hand, on the target MCU side, a UART that is connected to the ST-LINK, and on the other hand, the ST-LINK that puts this as a data stream on the USB channel in addition to the other USB communication.

On NUCLEO boards, there is a hardware connection from a UART of the respective MCU to the MCU of the ST-LINK.

So if you just connect an ST-LINK, you only have the SWD connection without UART and therefore without VCP.

A VCP is not possible with an ST-LINK/V2 because its UART is not (easily) accessible.

An ST-LINK/V2-1, which is included on many NUCLEO-64 and some NUCLEO-144, has an additional connector where the UART of the ST-LINK MCU is accessible and where a UART of your board can be connected.

An ST-LINK/V3MINIE or ST-LINK/V3SET also has a UART port for the respective target.

Assuming that the chip on your board is indeed from STMicroelectronics, then you should indeed be able to get a VCP to the host with one of the ST-LINK mentioned above, via which data can be transferred serially to and from the host.

However, this also requires the appropriate programming of the U(S)ART, because - to use a comparison - the existence of a road does not guarantee coordinated bus traffic.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SRath.4
Associate II

Can you please provide me any documentation or literature with demo for connection of stlink-v2 and its communication protocols with examples?

If you need all if this perhaps you should start with a NUCLEO board? Say one of the 144 pin series.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SRath.4
Associate II

Hello there,

In your previous suggestion as "on the target MCU side, a UART that is connected to the ST-LINK" does that mean only UART with ST LINK is the solution for send and read process in between pc and board, Or If I connect ST-LINK V2 to the SWD of the board, would that work for read and send between pc and board? or UART is the only way with ST LINK?

One of the mentioned ST-LINK (no ST-LINK/V2) would be able to pass a hardware UART of the target as VCP to the host via USB.

There are of course other possibilities, e.g. USB CDC (communication device class), with which you can realise the VCP directly via the USB port without hardware UART (works both via USB-FS and USB-HS). If you want suggestions on how to set this up, just search for "stm32 vcp cdc" using your favourite search engine.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Writing a VCP CDC Device without a debugger is probably going to be a challenge for you.

You could use a USB-to-CMOS Serial adapter from SiLabs or FTDI to facilitate a serial connection to a UART on the board.

For a beginner I'd strongly suggest going with a NUCLEO 144 series board. As that would have the serial and debug connectivity built-in

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

OK, I'll try this,

I am encountering a problem with my board: when I connect it to my laptop via mini USB, it does not appear under any connected devices in the Device Manager. Specifically, it does not show up as anything under USB, COM port, or mass storage. However, when I connect it in DFU mode, it appears as STM32 bootloader. What should I do to make it appear under COM or USB devices? Right now, it doesn't seem to be showing up as connected to anything at all.

Thanks for your help but can you suggest me solution for my current board only, via STLINK or something?