cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have STM32F407VET6 black and i am trying to setup serial communication with this device

SRath.4
Associate II

In my laptop device manager this device only shows up as stm32 bootloader and not as virtual com port or anything else to communicate , Can anyone help please! as trhere's not much help available regarding this same controller,

17 REPLIES 17
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @SRath.4​, to the community!

You surely mean the board STM32 F4VE from STM32-base?

Well, even if the STMicroelectronics logo is used illegally there, it is not a board from STMicroelectronics. In this respect, the first point of contact would be the manufacturer of this board. But it is no wonder that this company is misusing the logo, because it also produces illegal counterfeits of the ST-LINK debuggers, which usually also contain counterfeit STM32s.

But after a cursory glance at the circuitry of this board, where I could already see the same systematic errors as with the infamous Blue Pill, it was obvious that there is only the STM32F407VET6. By the way, it remains to be hoped and checked that this is an original STM32, as counterfeits were also very often used with the Black Pill.

In any case, apart from the STM32, there is no debug interface as, for example, the well-known and genuine NUCLEO boards from STMicroelectronics have. However, this would require that you see a virtual COM port in your host computer, for example.

I wish you good luck trying to get support from stm32-base.org.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SRath.4
Associate II

There's no any help available on stm32-base, can you help me setup communication ?

Since it is not certain that it is a genuine device from STMicroelectronics, I cannot really help.

However, you could connect an ST-LINK/V2 or ST-LINK/V3MINIE or ST-LINK/V3SET to the JTAG/SWD connector P1, which should allow you to connect.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SRath.4
Associate II

The board i have is STM32F407 and official st webpage provides documentation for this, so i has to be official board only. (official web:STM32F407/417 - PDF Documentation)

That's a chip, it could be on all manner of boards. Review documentation.

Did Peter identify the board you own? Attach picture.

T​hat board.looks to have a 20 pin JTAG header, if so you can use ST-LINK to download and debug.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SRath.4
Associate II

yes, the board has 20 pin JTAG header, but is there any other way other that JTAG?

The issue is that when i connect bourd using USB it shows as STM32 BOOTLOADER device under device manager so how can i change it to COM or something else?

As I said and Tesla confirmed: if you want to have a COM port, you should connect one of the suggested ST-LINK. The term JTAG is just a general term for the connector, the ST-LINK connects to the target via SWD over this connector.

You'll have to use STM32 Cube Programmer in USB/DFU mode, pushing your firmware image that way to the loader.

If you want the USB to do something normally you're going to have to write and load a USB Device firmware, like a VCP Device which the PC could then find an associate a COM port.

To have any chance of building/debugging you're going to need an ST-LINK pod to facilitate that.

Perhaps the board vendor has examples you can download, build and test.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SRath.4
Associate II

Ok, thank you for this help, SO can i use VCP while implementing this device in practical use, like to send some command from laptop or PC and receive data collected by controller back to pc or is there any other method to do that because device won't run normally in DFU mode, right?