cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using stm32 nucleo-L552ZE-Q. The ADC reading with the DMA doesn't work

MSadf.1
Associate II

I am trying to read an analog signal from a sensor with the ADC of my board. I set the pins correctly I think ( DMA_continuous_requests enable, circular mode, etc. ) and I started the DMA with HAL_ADC_Start_DMA outside the while(1) loop and I put a break point inside the loop to follow the updates in my buffer. BUt when I start debugging and I go inside the loop, my program block ( task constantly runing ) and my buffer doesn't get updated. How can I read the data from the sensor with the ADC ? I also have 2 call back so that I can put breakpoints when the buffer is half full and full. but nothing works I dont understand why.0693W00000aII0UQAW.png0693W00000aII4GQAW.png

5 REPLIES 5
RBENF.1
ST Employee

Hello @MSadf.1​,

Please provide the rest of the code using the code snippet function.

Regards,

Ryan

MSadf.1
Associate II
n
#define ADC_BUFFER_Size 4096
/* USER CODE END PD */

/* Private macro -------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* USER CODE BEGIN PM */

/* USER CODE END PM */

/* Private variables ---------------------------------------------------------*/
ADC_HandleTypeDef hadc1;
DMA_HandleTypeDef hdma_adc1;

UART_HandleTypeDef hlpuart1;

RTC_HandleTypeDef hrtc;

PCD_HandleTypeDef hpcd_USB_FS;

/* USER CODE BEGIN PV */
uint16_t adc_buffer[ADC_BUFFER_Size];
uint16_t value;
/* USER CODE END PV */

/* Private function prototypes -----------------------------------------------*/
void SystemClock_Config(void);
static void MX_GPIO_Init(void);
static void MX_DMA_Init(void);
static void MX_LPUART1_UART_Init(void);
static void MX_RTC_Init(void);
static void MX_UCPD1_Init(void);
static void MX_ADC1_Init(void);
static void MX_USB_PCD_Init(void);
/* USER CODE BEGIN PFP */

/* USER CODE END PFP */

/* Private user code ---------------------------------------------------------*/
/* USER CODE BEGIN 0 */

/* USER CODE END 0 */

/**
  * @brief  The application entry point.
  * @retval int
  */
int main(void)
{
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 1 */

/* USER CODE END 1 */

/* MCU Configuration--------------------------------------------------------*/

/* Reset of all peripherals, Initializes the Flash interface and the Systick. */
  HAL_Init();

/* USER CODE BEGIN Init */

/* USER CODE END Init */

/* Configure the system clock */
  SystemClock_Config();

/* USER CODE BEGIN SysInit */

/* USER CODE END SysInit */

/* Initialize all configured peripherals */
  MX_GPIO_Init();
  MX_DMA_Init();
  MX_LPUART1_UART_Init();
  MX_RTC_Init();
  MX_UCPD1_Init();
  MX_ADC1_Init();
  MX_USB_PCD_Init();
  /* USER CODE BEGIN 2 */
  HAL_ADC_Start_DMA(&hadc1, (uint32_t*)adc_buffer, ADC_BUFFER_Size);
  //HAL_ADC_Start(&hadc1);
  /* USER CODE END 2 */

/* Infinite loop */
  /* USER CODE BEGIN WHILE */
  while (1)
  {
    /* USER CODE END WHILE */
	  HAL_ADC_Start(&hadc1);
    //HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOC, GPIO_PIN_7, GPIO_PIN_SET);
	  //value = HAL_ADC_GetValue(&hadc1);
	  /*if (HAL_ADC_PollForConversion(&hadc1, 1000000) == HAL_OK)
	          {
	              value = HAL_ADC_GetValue(&hadc1);

}*/
    //AL_ADC_Start(&hadc1);
    //HAL_GPIO_WritePin(GPIOC, GPIO_PIN_7, GPIO_PIN_RESET);
    //HAL_Delay(100);
    /* USER CODE BEGIN 3 */
  }
  /* USER CODE END 3 */
}
/*.......*/
void HAL_ADC_ConvHalfCpltCallback(ADC_HandleTypeDef* hadc)
{
	__NOP();
}

void HAL_ADC_ConvCpltCallback(ADC_HandleTypeDef* hadc)
{
	__NOP();
}

I connected my sensor to the A5 pin and activated the ADC on that one. The sensor is a doppler radar sensor. When there is no movement, it send nothing, and when it detect a movement, it sends a sinus signal representing the frequency shift of the movement compared to the frequency of the signal the sensor sends. I have already an evaluation PCB that transforms this sinus into a squared signal. When there is nothing coming from the sensor, the PCB send a high analog signal ( ~3.5 V). So I would like for my board to detect each falling edge and count the time between 2 falling or rising edges.

When I debug and Look at my variables, I get the errors for adc_buffer : -var-create- unable to create variable object and target Not available and my debugger crashes after SystemClock_Config

thank you

RBENF.1
ST Employee

Hello @MSadf.1​ 

Step into the SystemClock_Config function to determine exactly where the issue is. If you can, provide your .ioc file. Also, make sure you are using the latest versions of STM32CubeMX/STM32CubeIDE.

Regards,

Ryan

MSadf.1
Associate II

I attached the IOC file. I checked the SystemClock_Config and the problem there seemed to be solved, but my adc_buffer still won't update

Thank you for your help

RBENF.1
ST Employee

Hello @MSadf.1​,

I have reviewed your application and here's my input.

• ADC Configuration
    • you have 2 channels enabled for ADC1 but scan mode disabled. My understanding of your application is that you only need one channel.
    • Your ADC clock prescaler is too low. Your ADC clock is configured as SYSCLK which is 110MHz, while STM32L552 datasheet states it should not be over 80MHz in range 0.

0693W00000aIWZoQAO.png 

• Even with a slightly higher prescaler, you may find that continuous ADC + DMA operation leads to an overrun error, which will stop conversion. I suggest you finetune ADC speed to suit your application needs and you should probably set Overrun data behavior to Overwritten if your application can afford it.
    • Your sampling time is quite low. Depending on your signal it could lead to inaccuracy.
  • Code :
    • You can remove HAL_ADC_Start(&hadc1); from your while loop since you already started ADC_DMA in continuous mode.
    • You should launch ADC calibration beforehand.
  • Application wise:
    • My understanding is that you need to measure your wave's period. A simpler method would be to use comparators and timers. You can configure a timer in capture mode to have a comparator threshold as input, then the period is the difference between two successive captured values.

Regards,

Ryan