cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to choose the 8MHz crystal oscillator for STM32F407?

SFara.1
Associate

I'm trying to replace the oscillator of the STM32F407 since I can't find anywhere the one listed in the bill of materials:

0693W000005AKunQAG.pngIt's a 8Mhz crystal oscillator from jfvny and it is in a HC-49/S package, the load capacitance is 20pF and frequency tolerance of 20*10^-6, frequency stability 30*10^-6. Other than the working temperature, I can't find any other information. The capacitors and resistor in the external circuit will be reproduced like in the original schematic.

I was wondering if the LFXTAL036869Reel could be a good match, it has the same parameters mentioned before except for the frequency stability which is 20*10^-6.

I read the st guide at

"https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00221665-oscillator-design-guide-for-stm8afals-stm32-mcus-and-mpus-stmicroelectronics.pdf"

and calculated its( LFXTAL036869Reel) minimal transconductance gm_crit which is 0.29 mA/V, the STM32F4 gm according to that pdf it's supposed to be 5, which makes gm>> gm_crit so I guess that gm_crit it's ok.

Does that make the oscillator a good replacement? Is there something else to look into?

0693W000005AKuOQAW.png

1 REPLY 1
TDK
Guru

> Is there something else to look into?

Not really. Seems like you've done your homework and verified it'll work.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".