cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hii, I am new to stm32 and I am learning to program MCU using Registers. which STM32 should I go for for learning the basics like GPIOs, ADC, UART etc. Thanks in advance for help.

CPans.2
Associate II

8 REPLIES 8

What experience do you have with other MCUs?

The reference manuals cover the​ peripheral registers, the programming manual those of the MCU itself.

Find a NUCLEO or DISCO board with functionalities that interest you, they have a on board debugger fitted allow for ease of programming, debugging and single-stepping, etc.

Availability might be a strong driver currently.​

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CPans.2
Associate II

I have only started working with STM32 as the first MCU, I have been doing projects on Arduino and now I have a requirement of developing an Automotive Grade MCU so I started with ST. But I have to Understand MCU from Registers.

Suggest you start with a book on the Cortex-Mx​ first, either the Technical Reference Manual (TRM) from ARM, or one of Joseph Yiu's books covering the cores.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
CPans.2
Associate II

OK Thank you for the guidance.

Piranha
Chief II

If you don't know which STM32 to choose, take some Cortex-M4 based newer design. So get some Nucleo or Discovery board with G4, L4 or F4 series MCU, starting with the most preferable one.

You can start learning with this well-explained tutorial:

https://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/453.php

Thanks.. Will go through....

S.Ma
Principal

If going from basic to later more advanced, stm32g071 might be simpler as cortex m0+ with rather new peripheral ip versions. Some stm32 are also arduino core supported if smooth learning curve is preffered.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @CPans.2​ ,

Tutorials available in the STM32 Step by Step should be helpful for you to get started with STM32 products programming.

That is true they are not based on registers manipulation, but they can be a good start point then you can generate code with LL (Low layer) drivers.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.