cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, what is the best hardware configuration to implement the following project on drawing ? thanks.

Dshoc
Associate II

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ozone
Lead

Not too demanding, it seems. GPS is supposedly a serial interface, too.

The only interface you won't find with all MCUs is ethernet, so this seems your main selection criteria.

A F4 device could suffice, there are several eval boards available to test.

I personally would start with the F4 discovery (+ BB extension), because it has an SPL-based demo webserver, not tainted by CubeMX.

Keep in mind that Ethernet is critical - the "feeble" peripherals in common MCUs cannot buffer any signifcant number of frames, and will easily be overwhelmed in an average office network.

If you want to dabble in ST's CubeMX is your decision. But read up about it before.

From my experience, the individual requirements are not too difficult to implement, several examples are available. But balancing interrupt priorities and DMA streams to keep everything going and balanced will cost you some time and effort.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ozone
Lead

Data rates and update cycles are missing. And possibly the required manipulations of the data.

Usually has a significant impact on controller selection.

Dshoc
Associate II

hi , thanks for your answer , the ADC data sampling is at 1KHz for the 4 ADCs , and the bandwidth needed is about 250Kbps . no special manipulation on data .

thanks again.

Ozone
Lead

Not too demanding, it seems. GPS is supposedly a serial interface, too.

The only interface you won't find with all MCUs is ethernet, so this seems your main selection criteria.

A F4 device could suffice, there are several eval boards available to test.

I personally would start with the F4 discovery (+ BB extension), because it has an SPL-based demo webserver, not tainted by CubeMX.

Keep in mind that Ethernet is critical - the "feeble" peripherals in common MCUs cannot buffer any signifcant number of frames, and will easily be overwhelmed in an average office network.

If you want to dabble in ST's CubeMX is your decision. But read up about it before.

From my experience, the individual requirements are not too difficult to implement, several examples are available. But balancing interrupt priorities and DMA streams to keep everything going and balanced will cost you some time and effort.

thanks , it was very helpfull 🙏

> Keep in mind that Ethernet is critical - the "feeble" peripherals in common MCUs cannot buffer any signifcant number of frames, and will easily be overwhelmed in an average office network.

This is a very common misconception in this forum and overall, but it's totally wrong. In fact the opposite is true - not only STM32 ETH peripheral isn't overwhelmed in an average office network, but it is very capable and able to squeeze out everything of Fast Ethernet. All the problems people have are from ST's incredibly flawed HAL drivers and lwIP integration. Check out this:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AhNBoWSQW/actually-working-stm32-ethernet-and-lwip-demonstration-firmware

Piranha
Chief II

Ethernet is on a F1, F2, F4, F7 and H7 series. F1 is old and quite different. H7 ir new and even more different. F7 (and H7) has Cortex-M7 with dual issue pipeline and cache memory, which has it's requirements for code, if used. So that leaves F2 and F4, which both seem to be more than enough. If there are no additional requirements, I would go for F2, because it's significantly cheaper.

@Piranha​ ,

> I would go for F2, because it's significantly cheaper.

Is it? It must be some specific model/distributor/whatever-circumstance-influencing-price.

I looked up STM32F207VGT6 versus STM32F407VGT6, Mouser, 100pcs - IMO a pretty representative garage-scale setting - and it's $10.7700 vs. $9.9000...

JW

As topic author's requirements seem to be low, I was thinking more like the cheapest option in series. And in that case it's STM32F207VC $7.22 vs. STM32F407VE $8.41 for 100 pcs at Mouser. While not big difference, it still can be significant, depending on project type and scale.

Ah, I see, thanks for the explanation.

JW