header files revisited

Posted on September 26, 2008 at 03:57

header files revisited

13 REPLIES 13
miles
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:45

Quote:

I'm pleased to announce you that we have released a new FW Library version 2.0.3 that adds and extends support for header files where a description of all registers and bit definitions are provided in a file called ''stm32f10x_map.h''.

Thanks, this is really excellent news.

I downloaded the new fwlib, and went to my code where I had created a duplicate definition of CAN_TSR_TME0 (for example). Looking through the fwlib, I see in stm32f10x_map.h:

#define CAN_TSR_TME0 ((u32)0x04000000) /* Transmit Mailbox 0 Empty */

In stm32f10x_can.c, I see this:

#define TSR_TME0 ((u32)0x04000000) /* Transmit mailbox 0 empty */

stm32f10x_can.c includes stm32f10x_can.h, which includes stm32f10x_map.h. So the definition of CAN_TSR_TME0 from stm32f10x_map.h is available to stm32f10x_can.c, and yet, instead of simply removing CAN_TSR_TME0 from stm32f10x_can.c and using the definition from the header, instead someone renamed the definition in the .c to TSR_TME0, perhaps to avoid a conflict with the other #define.

There's obviously many reasons why that's a bad idea:

1) Duplicate definitions need to be maintained in parallel

2) Only the definition in stm32f10x_can.c is being tested by ST's fwlib example programs, so if the one in _map.h is wrong, it won't be noticed by anyone running the example apps.

3) Because stm32f10x_can.c has it's own definitions, a working example app won't tell you that everything necessary is in stm32f10x_map.h, in fact things could be missing. If they were all *only* in _map.h, a simple grep of ''#define'' in *.c would be able to show you no #defines in any .c, and hence no bit definitions in any .c, meaning they all must be in _map.h

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, and I realize it's rather obsessive-compulsive of me to complain when you're just giving people what they asked for, but I also look forward to a future release of fwlib that doesn't have duplicate #defines.

Thanks again,

Miles

disirio
Associate II

It is possible that they just need some time to better integrate the new file into the library. Probably they rushed it a bit because the pressure in this forum.

Anyway, thank you for the excellent news, I will integrate the new file in the next versions of my projects.

Giovanni

---

ChibiOS/RT

http://chibios.sourceforge.net

stevemelnikoff9
Associate II

That's great news. Thank you ST!

Steve.

Thanks for that, your support is much appreciated.

Jan