cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL UART DMA functions

sde c.1
Senior II

Hi,

I need a DMA setup for 4 separate UARTs in an STM32G473 controller. The idea is to always be able to receive data through rxDMA, and only invoke txDMA when sending data. The data that I receive changes in size, is between 20 and 300 bytes, starts with a start character, and stops with 2 CRC bytes. Considering this, I think the best way to go is using `HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA` and `HAL_UARTEx_RxEventCallback` as IDLE callback. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder if I always need to execute `HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA` after I process the data? Or do I use `HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_IT`?

I also noticed that `HAL_UARTEx_RxEventCallback` stops working after I receive a `HAL_UART_TxCpltCallback`. Are these interrupts linked to each other?
Do I need to use `HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_IT` or `HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA` at the end of HAL_UART_TxCpltCallback to enable reception again?

I think it's odd that receiver callback interrupts are disabled after Tx complete callbacks. I'm afraid I'm losing receiving data this way. How do I make sure I do not lose any data on the serial ports?

Thanks!

void HAL_UARTEx_RxEventCallback(UART_HandleTypeDef *huart, uint16_t Size){
	uint32_t head;
	uint8_t n;

// process data ....for(n=0;n<port_end_of_list;n++)
		if(huart->Instance == uartbuffer[n].type)
		{
	         HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA(....
        }
}

void HAL_UART_TxCpltCallback(UART_HandleTypeDef *huart){
	uint8_t n;

for(n=0;n<port_end_of_list;n++)
	{
		if(huart->Instance == uartbuffer[n].type)
		{
			HAL_UARTEx_ReceiveToIdle_DMA ....
		}
	}
}

1 REPLY 1
Karl Yamashita
Lead II