cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide for mapping a new chip as an external flash. Is external loader required ?

rohan_m
Senior

Hello I am in the task of adding a new flash as an external flash via QSPI interface with the MCU STM32F777ZITx.

The flash that I want to add is S25FL256L as an external flash. I am not finding any references which I can use with this flash. Also it is not getting clear to me whether I need to make an external loader for mapping the external flash in memory mapped mode or only configuration is needed ?

rohan_m_0-1709562790625.pngrohan_m_1-1709562824039.pngrohan_m_2-1709562848167.png

22 REPLIES 22

Well there are some of those..

ST uses Micron MT25TLxxx parts that uses a pair of die side-by-side and 8-bit wide (dual mode), you have to read a status register from both chips, as a 16-bit compare mask/match operation, as data is interleaved at a byte level.

There are other Micron stacked-die parts in the 2Gbit and 4Gbit ranges now. Access in these chain one after the other, dividing the linear address space, you have to query these cyclically to ensure all die are idle.

Sorry, focused on the wrong part# not the one in the original post.

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-S25FL256L_S25FL128L_256-MB_(32-MB)_128-MB_(16-MB)_3.0_V_FL-L_FLASH_MEMORY-DataSheet-v09_00-EN.pdf?fileId=8ac78c8c7d0d8da4017d0ed40e335224

128Mb (16MB) would work with 3-byte addressing

256Mb (32MB) would need 4-byte addressing

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Sorry for confusion. the OP has S25FL256L, not 512. So yes my code should work, after proper initialization of 4-pin mode and enable 32-bit address (this is optional, some prefer 2*16MB layout with 24-bit address). I have not posted the setup code, it is encumbered with unrelated stuff in my project.

** EDIT **

the problem with memory mapped mode can be in number of dummy cycles or alternate bits. Try to add alternate bits:

uint8_t BSP_QSPI_EnableMemoryMappedMode(void)
{
  QSPI_CommandTypeDef      s_command;
  QSPI_MemoryMappedTypeDef s_mem_mapped_cfg;

s_command.InstructionMode   = QSPI_INSTRUCTION_1_LINE;
  s_command.Instruction       = QUAD_INOUT_FAST_READ_CMD;
  s_command.AddressMode       = QSPI_ADDRESS_4_LINES;
  s_command.AddressSize       = QSPI_ADDRESS_24_BITS;
  s_command.AlternateByteMode = QSPI_ALTERNATE_BYTES_4_LINES;  //<<< change
  s_command.AlternateBytesSize = QSPI_ALTERNATE_BYTES_8_BITS;
  s_command.AlternateBytes    = 0; //note see docum about the alt byte value
  s_command.DataMode          = QSPI_DATA_4_LINES;
  s_command.DummyCycles       = 8;
  s_command.DdrMode           = QSPI_DDR_MODE_DISABLE;
  s_command.DdrHoldHalfCycle  = QSPI_DDR_HHC_ANALOG_DELAY;
  s_command.SIOOMode          = QSPI_SIOO_INST_EVERY_CMD;

/* Configure the memory mapped mode */
  s_mem_mapped_cfg.TimeOutActivation = QSPI_TIMEOUT_COUNTER_DISABLE;
  s_mem_mapped_cfg.TimeOutPeriod     = 0;

if (HAL_QSPI_MemoryMapped(&QSPIHandle, &s_command, &s_mem_mapped_cfg) != HAL_OK)
  {
    return QSPI_ERROR;
  }
  /* Configure QSPI: LPTR register with the low-power time out value */
  WRITE_REG(QUADSPI->LPTR, 0xFFF);
  return QSPI_OK;
}

The sum of dummy cycles and alternate byte cycles defines where the output data bits begin. The same number will be with no alternate bytes but 10 dummy cycles instead of 8.

rohan_m
Senior

Even with this function I am not able to enter the quad SPI transfer mode.

I still I am only using the single line mode. I think I will need to get rid of the quad mode register lock.