Associate
Posted on June 01, 2010 at 10:38

Graphic Library firmware

#unavailable-resources #unavailable-resources #setting-a-bad-example #stm32
19 REPLIES 19
sjo2
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:53

Oh dear - i have just had the wonderful task of porting the ''ST Graphics Lib'' to another driver/panel combination for one of our customer's.

What can i say - who wrote this code !!

Over the years i have used many graphics lib's and i would normally expect a simple driver layer, and usually a 2-3 hour process to add a new basic driver. So far i have been fighting for 2 days and am close to the 'end'.

I have got it working now - but what an effort.

Please ST can you use a software engineer that understands ''abstraction''.

If you are to compete with the offerings from the other vendors then you really need to work on the primitives/driver layer.

Cheers

Spen

beat_blaser
Associate II

Hi

Hmm, the last comment is not really motivating to start with...

I am searching a practical and free library to display just some text an some pictures on a OLED-display via SPI.

--> Is the ST Graphics LIB for this aim a bad choice?

--> if yes: can somebody recommend another LIB which is easy to adapt on a ST-Microcontroller? (I also encountered the StellarisWare Graphic LIB which is only royalty free in use with Stellaris microcontrollers...)

Spec:

- 128x96 pixel

- 256 colors

- Mircroprocessor: STM32F107, later STM32F20x

- OLED-Driver: SSD1351

- Tool: Keil

For your help thanx in advance

Beat

beat_blaser
Associate II

Hi Neil

Sorry, I dont understand what your link should help? It refers to

Measuring mains power consumption with the STM32x and STPM01...

Cheers

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

''I dont understand what your link should help?''

It is another example where ST refer to firmware examples, but those examples are not available for download.

To get the firmware example, you have to contact your FAE or distributor and specifically request it.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

''Oh dear - i have just had the wonderful task of porting the ''ST Graphics Lib'' to another driver/panel combination for one of our customers. What can i say - who wrote this code !!''

I'm afraid I'd have to agree that much of the STM32 ''example'' code is of very poor quality indeed.

See: 

/f951861e

However, If anyone were looking for examples of how not to write source code - especially source code intended to describe & explain products - it's a goldmine!
beat_blaser
Associate II

Ok, thanx!

What a pity. But what is the alternative (considering my requirements) when the use of the STM32 Graphic Lib is rather not recommendable?

Andrew Neil
Evangelist III

You've already mentioned the StellarisWare graphics library - any reason why you don't just use that and a Stellaris chip?

From what I've seen, Luminary Micro's sample code is a rare example of how it should   be done...

beat_blaser
Associate II

Changing the Microcontroller is no option. For the actual project there is already too much implemented on a STM32 and also a hardware-redesign makes no sense. Further, our company has no interest to enlarge the microcontroller-sortiment.

I ask Stellaris if there is a way to use their graphical LIB legally. But its (as expected) not in their interest and not possible.

So I'm still interested on recommendations for other GUI-LIBs!!

Otherwise I willy-nilly have to use the STM32 GUI LIB...

Has somebody some valuable advices/informations when using this LIB?

Thanx

dominik239955
Associate
Posted on September 24, 2011 at 20:43

Hi all,

I want to create a window (size 800x600) in Visual Screen Designer For Embedded GUI Library (STM32) but created window has a size more or less 600x500.I can set up th position of objects to be whatever I want but how can I see whole window? An solution for that?

Thanks,

Dominik
Fristedt.Jan
Associate II
Posted on September 26, 2011 at 10:57

Has somebody some valuable advices/informations when using this LIB?

Don't!