cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Usage_FaultHandler exception when reading int32 value from the un-aligned void* ptr. Example: Here data pointer address is 0x20008911, which is unaligned by 4 byte. rpm = ((float) * (const s32 *)_data) / 256.0F;

KSing.4
Associate II

We are porting applications from STM32F1 to STM32F427 MCU. Currently, we are not explicitly configuring SCB->CCR unaligned trap, based on ARM M4 manual, LDR, VLDR always triggers the fault if the address is not aligned properly.

Do I require to use memcpy while converting the void* to int32? Are there any other solutions to avoid these realignment exceptions?

5 REPLIES 5

> 0x20008911, which is not unaligned by 4 byte

"not unaligned" is double-negation; "0x20008911 is not aligned" or "0x20008911 is unaligned".

LDR won't trap, VLDR will. Look at disassembly of how this line was compiled - the optimizer may ignore the casts.

Try (float)*(volatile s32*)_data.

JW

TDK
Guru

> Are there any other solutions to avoid these realignment exceptions?

Clear the UNALIGN_TRP bit in SCB->CCR. The Cortex-M4 can handle unaligned access, but I believe it takes a few more cycles.

SCB->CCR &= ~SCB_CCR_UNALIGN_TRP_Msk;

Edit: probably due to the floating point instruction which must be aligned.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thanks for your response, yes with volatile machine instructions changed to LDR.

Might want to consider how you're managing unaligned memory structures, guessing from a file or external device, etc.

LDRD,STRD are also intolerant of misalignment across the Cortex-M parts.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

In cmsis_compiler.h are defined macros for unaligned access: __UNALIGNED_UINT32_READ etc.

> Try (float)*(volatile s32*)_data.

This will convert an int value to float ((

C++ has reinterpet_cast but in C it is ugly.