cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with STM32H753I-EVAL2

rbedin
Associate II

Hello,

I would like to evaluate the STM32H753XI MCU and I suppose the right board for that is the STM32H753I-EVAL2. Since I am completely new to STM MCUs and MPUs, I would like to know a little about it:

- Is it sufficient to have the board itself and STM32CubeH7 to run and debug applications?

- Is it suitable for bare-metal software development?

Thanks,

Ricardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @rbedin ,

STM32H753I-EVAL2 is the superset in term of features versus other boards like Nucleo or Disco board having the biggest MCU package TFBGA240. This induces to the fact that you will run more applications and test features than other boards.

Is it suitable for bare-metal software development? ->  the HW can run baremetal or RTOS because basically it doesn't depend on the HW. So yes you can run baremetal or RTOS. For this you can use the examples provided in  cube package STM32H7 from here: https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/tree/master/Projects/STM32H743I-EVAL

Good luck :).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @rbedin 

First let me welcome you to the STM32 World. 

To be able to program our STM32 you have to use one of the IDE to program and debug your code (STM32CubeIDE, IAR, Keil,...). Also, you can start your project from our STM32CubeMX to make it easy to initialize all peripherals that you need. 

Maybe the Microcontroller - stm32mcu getting started Wiki is a good start for your development. 

For your second question, our STM32 are suitable for bare-metal software development.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

The board contains an on-board debugger, and a rich set of peripherals. ie External Memories and Screen

Expandability is limited as most all the pins will be committed to delivered functionality. Check the Schematic, which can be found under the "CAD Resources" tab of the product page.

The NUCLEO-H753ZI might be more accommodating if you want to add your own boards and circuitry. Less helpful if you need SDRAM/LCD

You can code in any fashion you are comfortable, bare-metal, assembler, HAL, CubeMX/IDE generated.

Tools and IDE from ST, KEIL, IAR, GNU/GCC

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello @rbedin ,

STM32H753I-EVAL2 is the superset in term of features versus other boards like Nucleo or Disco board having the biggest MCU package TFBGA240. This induces to the fact that you will run more applications and test features than other boards.

Is it suitable for bare-metal software development? ->  the HW can run baremetal or RTOS because basically it doesn't depend on the HW. So yes you can run baremetal or RTOS. For this you can use the examples provided in  cube package STM32H7 from here: https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/tree/master/Projects/STM32H743I-EVAL

Good luck :).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello,

Thanks for all your answers! I do not intend to add other boards or circuitry and I don't even need the LCD display, but the FMC and the SDRAM will be very important for my performance evaluation - I think the EVAL2 will be my board of choice.

I believe I can do eveything I need with the on-board debugger and STMCubeMX/IDE, but it never hurts to ask: is it possible to perform build, load and debug using Green Hills IDE, debugger and probe? Is the EVAL2 JTAG connector a standard Arm20 one?

Thanks once more,

Ricardo

I'd suppose GHS would support, although the simplicity and ease of porting things in/out is unknown. I'm sure your support contacts at GHS can provide specifics or quote.

>>Is the EVAL2 JTAG connector a standard Arm20 one?

Yes, there's a User Manual, and Schematics under "CAD Resources", if you wish to check specific implementation details, but the connector would support KEIL U-LINK and SEGGER J-LINK type operation.

As I recollect there's also an ETM Trace port, which would support J-TRACE, for example, although I expect you'll lose a few bits of the external address bus to accommodate that.

The ST-LINK should be serviceable

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..