cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Ram interfacing with stm32

SAMIN.1
Associate III

As I have been developing a printer, therefore I need fast external ram to store all the data at once and then retrieve the data from the ram to the printer board. I have used the FIFO memory but that's not enough for the data. As I need a minimum 64 Mbit ram. Can somebody suggest to me the ram or SRAM or any other type of ram that can be easily configured by the stm32 microcontroller and fast enough in reading and writing data, at least 6 mhz retrieving data speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

64Mb -> 8MB

For larger memories SDRAM is frequently used, tends to be a cost and availability of equivalent parts.

Tends to use a lot of pins. Depends on the width of the data bus chosen.

Support for up to 256MB possible, probably want to stick to single chip solutions.

Static RAM workable, uses more address pins, there are multiplexed options to use fewer pins.

Few of the STM32 support QSPI based RAM, although this might be the best choice for low-pin counts.

You probably have more options if the RAM doesn't need to physically map into the MCU's address space. Probably several interfaces that would support 6MBps

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Which stm32 microcontroller do you have?

Are there enough pins to use FMC or QSPI?

64Mb -> 8MB

For larger memories SDRAM is frequently used, tends to be a cost and availability of equivalent parts.

Tends to use a lot of pins. Depends on the width of the data bus chosen.

Support for up to 256MB possible, probably want to stick to single chip solutions.

Static RAM workable, uses more address pins, there are multiplexed options to use fewer pins.

Few of the STM32 support QSPI based RAM, although this might be the best choice for low-pin counts.

You probably have more options if the RAM doesn't need to physically map into the MCU's address space. Probably several interfaces that would support 6MBps

I have STM32F4 and STM32H7 both are capable of FMC and STM32H7 is capable of both FMC and Quad SPI

any suggestion for RAMs?

Cheap, available, used in mass market consumer electronics, share a common foot-print across multiple vendors. Same foot-print as capacity scales.

Fits your board design/manufacturing capabilities. Fits size/cost requirements.

I'd probably lean toward SDRAM using a leaded SMT package.