cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export restrictions on STM32 MCUs?

Hrishikesh
Senior

I ordered a bunch of STM32L443CCU6 chips from element14. I got an email from them saying that there are export restrictions on the chips. I’m based in India. How do I get these chips now?

3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

Think first if you need the L443 and if you can not live with the L433. If you need the L443, try to get those part from an India based distributor, probably resulting in a lot of legal paperwork.

Otherwise, perhaps some dealers in Shensen may also be helpfull.

This is usually the case with any device flagged has having crypto hardware. This enforcement has ratcheted up within the EU/USA in recent years.

Several of the DISCO/DK and NUCLEO boards require paperwork even within the US.

Sadly it usually take less paperwork to get parts out of China than to source locally, so one wonders about the actual value of the restrictions.

Your local jurisdiction may also expect backdoors or key recovery if you implement end-to-end cryptography effectively.

Try to find a local distributor you can trust, and who doesn't command a high margin.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Hrishikesh
Senior

I see. They've sent me a bunch of paperwork to fill up. Hopefully it will be enough. Or as you guys mention, Shenzhen is a good option. Locally, I'd have to go to a distributor who would eventually get it from Shenzhen itself, and it would not be economical.