cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples for STM32H747I-DISCO board

Louie88
Associate III

I just purchased a brand new STM32H747I-DISCO board. I installed all the suggested software. I followed the step-by-step guide from ST Microelectronics. I downloaded the STM32Cube MCU Firmware Package for STM32H7 series. I picked STM32H7 series instead of the suggested STM32L4 because my discovery board contains STM32H7x MCU.

I tried to open the blinking LED (with interrupts) example from C:\Users\[user_name]\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32H747I-DISCO\Examples\GPIO\GPIO_EXTI folder as it is suggested.

The TrueSTUDIO -during importing the example – showed an error message about the imported project is not compatible with the STM32H747I-DISCO board and I must select another board or an another MCUMCU. The problem is the STM32H747I-DISCO board nor the STM32H747I MCU are not listed.

Finally, I got 3 projects:

• EWARM
  • GPIO_EXT
  • STM32H747I-DISCO

I tried to build each projects (excluding/closing the others). The build was not successful I got several errors. I do not know what I did wrong.

So my questions are: (I am familiar with Silicon Labs/TI 8 and 32 bit MCUs since 15 years or more.)

1. Is there a Step-by-Step guide for STM32H747I-DISCO board? ST website shows step-by-step guide form NUCLEO-L476RG which is slightly different from STM32H747I-DISCO board.
  2. It seems to me the dual core STM32 MCUs are not supported in TrueSTUDIO nor in STM32CubeMX applications. From where can I get sample programs which can be run in STM32H747I-DISCO board?
  3. If I plug the USB cable into the board I could not find any sign that the STM32H747I-DISCO board would detected?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

TrueSTUDIO is NRND status. If you're just starting, it's going to be easier to go with STM32CubeIDE instead.

Dual core chips are supported in CubeMX.

There are lots of examples in the CubeMX repository:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/tree/master/Projects/STM32H747I-DISCO

These examples can be easily opened/built with the "Example selector" in STM32CubeIDE.

File -> New -> STM32 Project -> Example selector tab.

> If I plug the USB cable into the board I could not find any sign that the STM32H747I-DISCO board would detected?

Does it turn on? Ensure you're using the correct USB connector that connects to the onboard ST-Link programmer. It should show up in device manager.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TDK
Guru

TrueSTUDIO is NRND status. If you're just starting, it's going to be easier to go with STM32CubeIDE instead.

Dual core chips are supported in CubeMX.

There are lots of examples in the CubeMX repository:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/tree/master/Projects/STM32H747I-DISCO

These examples can be easily opened/built with the "Example selector" in STM32CubeIDE.

File -> New -> STM32 Project -> Example selector tab.

> If I plug the USB cable into the board I could not find any sign that the STM32H747I-DISCO board would detected?

Does it turn on? Ensure you're using the correct USB connector that connects to the onboard ST-Link programmer. It should show up in device manager.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Probably best not to use tools that significantly predate the product release or lack dual/multi core support.

I would expect the Keil or IAR projects to build, I used Keil with the H747I-DISCO

There are multiple USB connections, be sure to use the ST-LINK one

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Louie88
Associate III

Thanks for the very fast answer.

I downloaded and installed STM32CuveIDE. It is funny that the Step1 in Getting started tutorial does not mention that TrueSTUDIO is in NRND status and evenit does suggest to download and install TrueSTUDIO.

If successfully opened/run and modified the GPIO_EXTI example. (On ever button press turns on the next LED, then if all the LEDs are on then I turn them OFF)

I also opened (File->New-STM32Project->Example selector) the LCD_DSI_CmdMode_DoubleBuffer project. I could run it but it cannot be single stepped because the View Disassembly button appears in "0x8006650" window and it says that "...no debug information available..." at the above address.. (see 20210705-View_disassembly.png)

I tried to File->Open project from file system command to open GPIO_EXTI project but I could not figure out which folder to import. This means I have very different folder structure if I import an example using File -> New -> STM32 Project -> Example selector command or with File->Open project from file system command. Why? Which is the folder what I has to select to import from? (20210705-Different_Project_Folders.png)

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Louis

Louie88
Associate III

I could add only 1 file. Here is the anther screen shot.

SFilc.1
Associate II

It's pointless. All examples that are connected to a display, whether internal or external, do not work. I wrote it in the other thread. There are many out there waiting for a solution. After three months of waiting, they made a PDF file, that says that this version of the hardware that is actually being sold at the moment, they do not offer any software or examples. I just have no words. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.