cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy chip marking vs product/chip ID ? My chip marked STM32F100V8T6B give a productID 0x414, while I expected 0x420. Have I received a batch of chips with an incorrect marking?

BNoss.1
Associate II

According to AN2606 rev 14, pid 0x414 mean high-density device, pid 0x420 mean medium-density device. We just bought 500 STM32F100V8T6B. They are deployed in an existing modular product that programs the uC in-situ. The program relies on the PID to correctly work (we use several different STM32F1xx's and STM32F2xx's).

Full marking on the chip:

STM32F100

V8T6B Z

HPAXK 93

KOR HP 642

ST (c)ARM

15 REPLIES 15

From STM32CubeProgrammer database:

<DeviceID>0x414</DeviceID>

<Vendor>STMicroelectronics</Vendor>

<Type>MCU</Type>

<CPU>Cortex-M3</CPU>

<Name>STM32F101/F103 High-density</Name>

<Series>STM32F1</Series>

That's all that I know.

I don't know what are the practices in the supply chain.

Other IDs:

<DeviceID>0x410</DeviceID>

<Type>MCU</Type>

<CPU>Cortex-M3</CPU>

<Name>STM32F101/F102/F103 Medium-density</Name>

<Series>STM32F1</Series>

<Description>ARM 32-bit Cortex-M3 based device</Description>

<DeviceID>0x412</DeviceID>

<Type>MCU</Type>

<CPU>Cortex-M3</CPU>

<Name>STM32F101/F102/F103 Low-density</Name>

<Series>STM32F1</Series>

<DeviceID>0x420</DeviceID>

<Type>MCU</Type>

<CPU>Cortex-M3</CPU>

<Name>STM32F100 Low/Medium density Value Line</Name>

<Series>STM32F1</Series>

Really not sure that is the case, it's too much bother. It's not like Intel where the sell price could vary by several hundred dollars, and a semi-functional part had some relatively high value. Here it's more of an amortized cost on the test equipment.

What they do is simply not test aspects of a device, and disable some portions as appropriate, ie USB, HASH/CRYP, etc

What they have done on some occasions, as seen in the TIM12 thread cited above, is they take more function die (several) and ship/mark as Value Line under a singular SKU. A customer then randoms into functionality that the SPL supports, and the documentation is sufficiently fuzzy, that they assume it works on all die, and all die on a specific SKU will be the same.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Seems pretty clear from the TIM12 discussion from 5 years ago that ST has sold parts under the same SKU which use several different die and the documentation and library code is permissive.

They may believe these sales were to specific customers, who were aware of this, but some of the stockroom devices got into secondary channels, likely due to high MoQ, and the tendency for excess stock to get liquidated or shared, especially in the Chinese/Asia markets.

I've been on the forum for 12+ years, and dealt with the F1 parts early on. There have definitely been numerous occasions where ST has played fast and lose with the markings on those parts, definitely in the F100 space, and the documentation has been sufficiently imprecise, that we keep running into these situations.

The OP will have to adapt code and update processes so that the firmware can recognize at least two possible chip ID, and perhaps steppings, and work as expected.

This might be particularly prescient now, given the lack of parts in the channel, and the increased value in the arbitrage space, that anyone with spare STM32 parts in the stockroom is blowing the dust off them and pushing them out to the part sourcers. Or as a barter/hedge for parts they actually want.

BNoss.1
Associate II

I want to thank you all for valuable input. With the present supply situation I definitely will have to change my in-field programming program, I must, as we say in Norwegian "Bite in the sour apple".

YErik.1
Associate

Sort of same issue. Have a bunch of stm32f100RC marked MCUs that gives:

Device: STM32F10xx High-density (STM32F100xx High-density Value Line)

Device ID: 0x414 (should be 0x428)

Revision ID: Rev X (should be A)

Flash size 256kBytes

Would be nice to know what part it really is and what data sheet etc that could be used.