cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device for testing car headlights

Siwyzg
Associate

Hello . I need to make a device for testing car headlights. I'm going to turn them on and check if all the lights are working. new models of car headlights work via can bus and lin. what stm32 will I need and what components. the device is supposed to send can bus or lin signals to the headlamp to turn it on.

This is https://youtu.be/pWKM9b7_jAM?feature=shared

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

I'm not expert in automotive and I can suggest STM32F0 series (still depends on your usage) which feature CAN and LIN but there are two types of CAN: Classical CAN and CANFD. STM32F0 series feature only Classical CAN. What kind of CAN your car headlights are using?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

I'm not expert in automotive and I can suggest STM32F0 series (still depends on your usage) which feature CAN and LIN but there are two types of CAN: Classical CAN and CANFD. STM32F0 series feature only Classical CAN. What kind of CAN your car headlights are using?

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
STea
ST Employee

Hello @Siwyzg and welcome to ST-community.

if you want to establish CAN and LIN communication you will an MCU with the support for CAN controller i recommend the following:

1. STM32F105/107: This microcontroller has a built-in CAN controller and supports LIN communication through a UART interface.

2. STM32F407/417: This microcontroller has two built-in CAN controllers and supports LIN communication through a UART interface.

if more than one CAN controller is needed i recommend on of the F4 series if not the F1 series is suited for this kind of applications . You can refer to this post on the our forum related to your request it might help you .

BR 

Hichem

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

For a simple headlight testing device, you can start with an STM32 microcontroller from the STM32F4 or STM32F7 series. These are popular choices for automotive applications. Consider the specific requirements of your project, such as the number of GPIO pins, communication interfaces, and processing power. Since new car headlights often use CAN bus and LIN, choose an STM32 microcontroller with built-in CAN and LIN controllers. STM32F4 and STM32F7 series commonly have these interfaces.

Hello . I chose stm32f407, it supports CAN and LIN + SN65HVD230 CAN Bus Transmitter Receiver. I need to add 6 buttons to the code thanks to which I will be able to turn on each light in the headlight... each button sends a CAN frame to the headlight...

Taking this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year 2024