cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging with the STM32F205RCT6 not working

johantheking
Associate II

Hi, i'm realative new to using ST products and i'm currently trying to debug with the STM32F205RCT6 using the ST-LINK V2 with the debug protocol SWD. but it's simply not worinking, it keeps saying No device found on target.

This is how it's connected:

- PIN 19, 32, 48 and 64 to the 3,3V

- PIN 18 and 63 to the GND

- PIN 7 to the RST

- PIN 60 to the GND

- PIN 49 to the SWCLK

- PIN 46 to the SWDIO (this one is connected with a pull-up resistor of 100k ohm)

- PIN 60 to the GND (and tried to 3,3V)

- PIN 28 to the GND

This is what i have tried so far in order to have it to work:

-checked with the osciloscoop if and a PCBite to see if the signals for clock and data to go the exact pin of the chip

-checked with a multi meter if the pins are getting power.

-replace the MCU with another one

Plz take a look at the photos i have attach. i have a felling that i have done something wrong and i don't know what it is. if there is more information needed let me know.

Screenshot_152.pngScreenshot_154.pngphoto_2023-08-08_23-26-07.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Capacitor on VCAP?

Not sure I'm going to dig thru the pin numbers, but the analogue supply VDDA/VSSA needs powering as it has control over the POR circuits and PLL?VCO, will hold device in reset if missing. Check state of NRESET pin

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Capacitor on VCAP?

Not sure I'm going to dig thru the pin numbers, but the analogue supply VDDA/VSSA needs powering as it has control over the POR circuits and PLL?VCO, will hold device in reset if missing. Check state of NRESET pin

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
RhSilicon
Lead

I don't know if it can help in your case, but I found these videos about advanced debugging:

[STM32CubeIDE Advanced Debug Features]

TDK
Guru

The latest STM32CubeIDE seems to reject counterfeit programmers.

See if it can connect with STM32CubeProgrammer.

Also VDDA needs to be powered.

Also each VCAP pin needs a capacitor.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

The latest STM32CubeIDE seems to reject counterfeit programmers

:expressionless_face:

Dear @johantheking 

Most critical non connected pads are VDDA (13) to 3,3 Volts , VSSA (12) to ground , VBAT (1) to 3,3 Volts and you need connect 2 capacitors 2,2uF to VCAP pins to GND - Pins 31 and 47 . Then it should connect . 
let us know .

you can refer to the Hardware Getting started Application Note : https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/an3320-getting-started-with-stm32f20xxx21xxx-mcu-hardware-development-stmicroelectronics.pdf

Ciao ,

STOne-32.

Dear @STOne-32 

i have tried the solution of user @Tesla DeLorean and that semd to work.

However i noticed that debuging it crashed alot of times. so i tried your solution and that seemd to work. also i'm not sure about other users mentioning that my debug controller dind't work becaus it was not official ST product is true since i can debug it perfectly fine with it.

Thanks for your help.

Johan