cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Arduino Portenta H7 to PDM microphone

yshetty
Associate II

Hello everyone,

I am new to hardware programming so please excuse my basic question. Can someone please point me to the right resource to obtain data from an external pdm microphone (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pdm-microphone-breakout?view=all) from STM32H7 using arduino? Is that possible? I could not find good tutorials for this. Is learning Cube to be able to implement SAI- PDM the only option for this project? I did find the following discussion on arduino forum: https://forum.arduino.cc/t/audio-input-pdm-portenta-vision-shield/1084627 but I wanted to clarify.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @yshetty and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

First, i suggest you follow this tutorial to understand how to set up the Arduino Portenta H7 to Arduino IDE. Then you can try to adapt the example on the Arduino firmware of the component (the first link you shared on your post) to your board.

If this can't solve your issue. Please ask this question on our STM32DUINO Forum. They may can give more details.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @yshetty and welcome to the ST Community 😊.

First, i suggest you follow this tutorial to understand how to set up the Arduino Portenta H7 to Arduino IDE. Then you can try to adapt the example on the Arduino firmware of the component (the first link you shared on your post) to your board.

If this can't solve your issue. Please ask this question on our STM32DUINO Forum. They may can give more details.

Best Regards.

STTwo-32 

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

I have used the Portenta H7: if you use the extension called "Portanta H7 Vision Shield" (which I need for ETH connector: it has already TWO PDM MICs aboard.
And I can confirm: these MICs are working (I can get the audio via USB Audio to host PC).

Consider to use the "Portenta H7 Vision Shield" (and no need for external wiring).

Thank you, it is a really good tip. I will check that out and get back.

yshetty
Associate II

..but I was also wondering if it is possible to connect an external PDM microphone breakout board as well. The thing is I have few PDM microphone breakout boards and I want to analyze the signal from each of them to compare performance, etc. Do you think I need the vision shield for this task?