cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environmental Impact of manufacturing STM32

Chall24
Associate II

Hello everyone, 

I have a bunch of questions concerning the environmental impact of manufacturing a STM32 

I'd like to see the impact according to as many criteria as possible from the following: 

• Contribution to the greenhouse effect 
  • Particulate matter and respiratory effects of inorganic substances 
  • Air acidification 
  • Photochemical ozone formation 
  • Ionizing radiation potential 
  • Use of mineral and metal resources 
  • Use of fossil resources 
  • Ecotoxicity

Do you know where I could find these 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Chall24 wrote:

What is the lifespan of a STM32 ? 

Generally, microcontrollers don't "wear out" (when operated within specifications) - so that's not really an answerable question.

It's more about the lifespan of the products into which they are embedded.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Additionally the 2023 Sustainability report can also be helpful.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SofLit
ST Employee

And may be also: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/about/sustainability/sustainable-technology.html

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Thank's a lot,

Is there any way to go deeper in the 5 life cycle stages to get more precise information?

And I forgot the following question : What is the lifespan of a STM32 ? If you have any idea i would be grateful !

@Chall24 wrote:

What is the lifespan of a STM32 ? 

Generally, microcontrollers don't "wear out" (when operated within specifications) - so that's not really an answerable question.

It's more about the lifespan of the products into which they are embedded.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

@Chall24 You probably mean longevity, right?

This one is easy to answer: there is a rolling commitment for all STM32 families. Every year in spring, the expected demand for each family is checked and because it remains high for all but one family (STM32L1), they are extended for a further 10 years.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

@Peter BENSCH wrote:

You probably mean longevity, right?

@Chall24  - so what @Peter BENSCH is talking about is, "How long will ST continue to manufacture STM32 products"

What I was talking about is, "How long does an STM32 chip live"

Which one did you mean?

No I mean lifetime, from the moment you buy it and you start to use it until it stops working. Maybe it depends on a lot of variables so it's impossible to answer, as you can see, i have no knowledge in this field 😅

Yes I was looking for the answer you gave concerning the lifetime of a STM32 chip thank you !