cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion about memory addressing and byte alignment in QSPI dual flash mode

bollylove
Associate

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about how memory addressing and byte alignment works when using two QSPI FLASH memories in dual flash mode.

Accordingly to AN4760 paragraph 2.2.4, in dual flash mode addresses are "splitted" across two banks by sending even addresses to bank 1 and odd to bank 2. That sounds like using address LSB to choose to which bank read/write data to, and address >> 1 as the physical memory address. I can't find anywhere the explanation about how sectors erase works, but I expect that it would work in the same manner by sending the same erase command to both memories with (address >> 1) as the physical address of the sector to erase. This is OK for me, so that the dual bank memory appears as a single memory having sectors of double size and a total memory of doubled size.

Here's where the "strange" behavior comes in: when I attempt to read/write a single byte to the memory (or an odd length bytes array, e.g. 187 bytes long) it seems impossible to handle the read/write operation without reading/writing an extra byte.

I'll try to explain the situation better by giving some example:

• trying to read 1 byte from address 0x00 results in reading 2 bytes from address 0x00 to address 0x01
  • trying to read 1 byte from address 0x01 result in reading 2 bytes from address 0x00 to address 0x01
  • trying to read 127 bytes from address 0x00 results in reading 128 bytes from address 0x00 to address 0x7F

The same for write operations.

Do you confirm that's the normal behavior of using QSPI in dual flash mode? I would expect to be able to work with 1 byte alignment, not 2 bytes.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bollylove
Associate

For the benefit of the community I will post the explanation I received from ST MCU Support Team:

<< This is normal behavior. From figure 12 in AN4760 is well understandable why. One byte from each memory is read/written simultaneously at the same time. This is why you need to read/write data in lengths of 16 bits. >>

#GiovanniRovazzi

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bollylove
Associate

For the benefit of the community I will post the explanation I received from ST MCU Support Team:

<< This is normal behavior. From figure 12 in AN4760 is well understandable why. One byte from each memory is read/written simultaneously at the same time. This is why you need to read/write data in lengths of 16 bits. >>

#GiovanniRovazzi