cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing clock source for ADC

mohamed_husain
Associate II

Hi There,

I am using STM32C031C6 evaluation board. I am using ADC_IN1 for the ADC measurement. I want to use internal clock source for my board. I want a stable ADC output. 

1. Which internal clock source should I choose for the stable ADC output?

a) HSI48 (48 MHz)

or

b) LSI (32 kHz) 

STM32C031C6 has sampling rate of 2.5MSps. I am going to use less samples. I want a stable ADC output. 

Kindly give your suggestions and answers. Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
AScha.3
Chief II

Hi,

HSI48 , or (best) HSE (also 48M).

AScha3_0-1710501354663.png

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
mohamed_husain
Associate II

Thanks @AScha.3 !

Unfortunately, I want to use Internal Clock Source. HSE is an external source.

Use the default 48 MHz HSI48.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

I want a stable ADC output. 

What do you mean by stable? how much?

According to the STM32C031 datasheet these clock sources jitter depends on the voltage and the temperature.  So you need to assess this "stability" according to your final product environment/needs.

SofLit_0-1710511417109.png

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

The table shows the frequency produced by the oscillators and its characteristics. 

I want to measure accurate voltage given to ADC_IN1 pin. The measurement should be accurate and stable.

Hello,

I thought you were referring to "sampling jitter" not the stability of the conversion. In that case you can refer to the AN2834 "How to optimize the ADC accuracy in the STM32 MCUs".

Check your VDDA/Vref+ power supply. The averaging samples is one of the technics to get more stable conversion.

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jacob WOODRUFF
ST Employee

Hi All,

This question has been routed to our online support center for direct support.

Regards,
Jake

ST Support