Anuj1
Associate II

Can I use STM32F411RE to learn DSP programming? Please advise!​

9 REPLIES 9
S.Ma
Principal

A microcontroller is not a DSP.

It only tries to close the gap.

Not verse in DSP, I think DSP can fetch 2 or more data, compute them and store in memory in one cycle. For most MCU this will be decomposed with multiple instructions and cycles.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @Anuj​ ,

A good start point will be Digital Signal Processing with STM32, software expansion for STM32Cube.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Anuj1
Associate II

Understood make sense. It has been over 15 years I did DSP in college using TMS320Cxxxx DSP but I was looking to buy it's too expensive and I already have STM32F411RE I want to get back where I left in college and master the DSP coding. So do you think this board will be good enough for me to brush up on my basic DSP? Like filters, sampling etc!??​

Thank you so much that helps a lot. But the hardware I am having that is STM32F411RE will be a good starting point?

Do you have any tutorial I can follow for couple examples on DSP which can bring me on speed?​

The STM32F411RE has a Cortex-M4 with a 32-bit floating point unit, it should be as able an any other STM32 in that range.

Check what resource ARM has for their CMSIS DSP implementation, and see if that's similar to your expectations.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you will review the reference manual. Appreciated for the quick response.​

Thank you so much that helps a lot.​

Hi @Anuj​ ,

What I suggested initially contains both:

• document AN4841 Digital signal processing for STM32 microcontrollers using CMSIS to explain how it works
  • examples in X-CUBE-DSPDEMO that you may download & adapt to your board

You may also start your own example with STM32CubeIDE and call relevant DSP functions. Look to the article How to integrate DSP Libraries on STM32 project? An example using STM32F429 to know how to start. You need to change STM32F429 by STM32F411.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.