cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can brownout and power-on reset causes be discriminated on the STM32G4?

CTapp.1
Associate III

I am trying to use the flags within the RCC CSR register to determine if my system has started due to a power-on or brownout reset. However, BORRSTF is set for both types of reset, and the G4 does not have a separate POR reset cause flag.

I have tried using PINRSTF as well, but it looks as if that is also always set.

I think my only option is to set the brownout level to generate a reset, and to use the PVD (set to a higher level) to give me a pre-warning of failure - but that is not ideal, as I want to be able to report a brownout even when the system resumes normal operation.

1 REPLY 1
Pierre_Paris
ST Employee

Hello @CTapp.1,

Thank you for your question.

The  power-on reset (POR) / power-down reset (PDR) are coupled with a brown-out reset (BOR) circuitry. They are integrated together.

Q1 : "BORRSTF is set for both types of reset"

• This flag is set every time a BOR occurs.
  • PDR cannot be differentiated from BOR (is always higher than PDR level).
  • The reset value is 0C000000 and BORRSTF is set by default. The BOR keeps the device under reset until Vdd reaches the threshold Vborx. 
  • BOR occurs when a PDR occurs. If the voltage drops under VPDR, that means the VBOR0 threshold has been crossed also.

Q2 : "I want to be able to report a brownout even when the system resumes normal operation."

• First, you need to clean the RMVF (Bit 23) of RCC_CSR
  • Poll BORRSTF and if it's set, a BOR occurs.
  • The pre-warning with PVD works.
  • As a reset generated by a BOR does not affect the RAM content, you can use the RAM to retain a PVD event. Make sure that PVD threshold is higher than BOR threshold to have enough time to write the value.
    • In case of a PDR occurs, the RAM content is lost 
    • In case of a BOR without PDR, the RAM is preserved.

Best Regards,

Pierre

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.