cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOOSTEN / BOOSTRDY doesn't seem to be working on STM32U575

ShawnP
Associate III

STM32u575 reference mannual indicates that PWR->VOSR BOOSTEN must be set and PWR->VSOR BOOSTRDY must be set by hardware before clocks are raised past 55MH.

using this code to try and accomplish that:

// set boost enable to support clocks above 55MHZand wait for BOOSTRDY
	MODIFY_REG(PWR->VOSR, PWR_VOSR_BOOSTEN, PWR_VOSR_BOOSTEN);
	while (READ_BIT(PWR->VOSR, PWR_VOSR_BOOSTRDY) != PWR_VOSR_BOOSTRDY) {}

I see BOOSTEN getting set but loop hangs and BOOSTRDY is never set by hardware.

Is there some other item that need to be configured for this to work?

All assistance approciated.

Shawn

10 REPLIES 10
ShawnP
Associate III

Addendum - it's strange that I don't see the sample applications setting BOOSTEN yet having no difficulting running at 160MHZ...

Puzzling....

2nd addendum - 

seems that the BOOSTRDY bit does not come on until after I've enabled MSIS and set the PLL1 source to MSI.

Not sure if there are other ways that BOOSTRDY will get activated.

Also, the example I'm using for testing is an LL example RCC_UseHSI_PLLasSystemClock.  out of the box, this example never sets BOOSTEN and runs fine at 160MHZ.  I watch the VSOR register in debug while the application is running and BOOSTEN and BOOSTRDY are never set.

The only way I got BOOSTRDY to trigger in this application is adding code to set BOOSTEN prior to running SystemClock_Config().  When I do this I can see the BOOSTEN flag getting set in the debugger but the BOOSTRDY bit does not get set until after MSIS is enabled and RCC->PLL1CFGR is configured with MSI as the source.

AScha3_0-1723360259463.png

So whats your Vdda level ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

@AScha.3,

that's  a different booster, for the analog switches.

What @ShawnP talks about is what the RM calls EPOD booster, needed to achieve higher system clocks.

JW

@waclawek.jan wrote:

@AScha.3,

that's  a different booster, for the analog switches.

What @ShawnP talks about is what the RM calls EPOD booster, needed to achieve higher system clocks.

JW

that is correct!

further question / observation:

Reference manual documentation is very confusing on both the purpose of the VOSR_BOOSTEN field and the associated PLL1MBOOST field in PLL1CFGR register.

The field is labled "PLL1MBOOST " yet the values of the field indicate the input source frequecy is being reduced by division (1/1 to 1/16) by even numbers (except 1).

In addition, in the same register, "PLL1CFGR", the "PLL1M" field is the "prescaler" in front of the multiplier.  As an asside, the multiplier value is configured with the PLL1DIVR PLL1N field - how confusing is that?

So now I have two fields that seem to divide down the source clock before it enters the multiplication stage.   Do these fields compound each other?  Does one replace the other when PLL1MBOOST is enabled?  Both fields have values between 1 and 16.

All in all I'm still very confused about how all this is supposed to work and I suspect I'll only know by doing exhaustive experimentation - which theoretically the reference manual should prevent us from needing to do.

Anyone know how all this works?  Or even better, knows a source of clear and accurate documentation?

Shawn

Ha - might have answered my own question - here's my interaction with ChatGPT:

ShawnP_0-1724013642846.png

If this is correct it's really kind of amazing!!!

Why do you think ChatGPT "knows" more than what's in the RM?

Anything else is ChatGPT's hallucination. I though this is pretty clear by this point.

Instead, at this point, you should contact ST directly, through FAE or the web support form.

JW

ShawnP
Associate III

Well perhaps I'm just not yet good at digging the information above out of the reference manual.

Perhaps you could show me where in the reference manual it specifically says that when you set BOOSTEN that the chip switches from using the values in PLL1M and uses the values in PLL1BOOST instead.   It might be there but after hours of searching I turned to this forum - and got no answers.

I'd be happy to be schooled on better approaches to get the answers I need than coming to this forum.

Any tutoring from the wise "guru" would be welcome.

The description in RM is not adequate to fully understand the purpose and function of  this "boost" and what the RM calles EPOD (and DS does not mention them at all).

I don't use the 'U5 nor am I an ST insider to be able to shed more light on this topic. That's why I've recommend you to contact ST directly.

JW