cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.bin file is not updating (size in bytes) if I try to use example project of e X-NUCLEO-IHM15A1 dual brush DC motor driver expansion based on STSPIN840 for STM32F401RENucleo. but .elf is getting updated (in KB) when I try to build. Please help.

TVeng.1
Associate II

3 REPLIES 3

Perhaps the binary has it's size rounded up and the content is different. Check it with a CRC, SHA or MD5 tool.

The .ELF will contain a lot of debug and compiler noise and the "PROGBITS" represent a very small subset of the entire content.

Check the date/time stamps of the .ELF vs the .BIN, and any makefile or options involved in the generation

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TVeng.1
Associate II

Thanks, Date and time for .ELF and .BIN get updated to current build time, but ELF file size shows 67KB where as BIN file is 1KB (actually 97bytes). If you extract the sample project the bin they provided default shows 12KB. so we can say while build bin not updating, In build setting also I selected convert to .binary option. I see log messages while building (i.e generation of binary), but surprised why the size is very small? When I flash this new bin its not functioning.

Another problem I face this with this example project is debugger mode is not connecting to go ahead with .ELF file. I suspect the PB3 is used in sample application as PHA pin for DC motor drive, also its SWO for ST-Link as per schematics, I suspect it could be the reason why not running in debugger mode, so trying binary flash approach.

TVeng.1
Associate II

Hi.. I created project from scratch and able to run the DC motor with PWM generated, able to see binary updated with proper size. Not using sample project anymore. also not getting debugger dis-connect issue now. Thank you.