cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new CPUs?

LMI2
Lead

When distributors have zero stock, it is hard to know about new CPUs. Are there any? Fast do it all CPUs are interesting and so are Linux CPUs.

PS I am 110% happy that I didn't use any of those in my paid designs.

4 REPLIES 4

I generally ignore posts like this. It's got a couple of things that Red Flag it.

Subscribe to the press releases, or alerts. Speak to your local sales rep(s), get road-map updates.

Embedded Linux runs on a specific class of ARM processors, the Cortex-M MCU aren't terribly suitable, and aren't going to be so however fast you clock them. There's things like ucLinux, but why?

My tip with Embedded Linux, and such platforms, pick one that's got really deep support and interest, from both vendor and customers and contribute as much as you take.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LMI2
Lead

I also asked Linux with ST CPUs, this answer that post.

I am also interested about what fast embedded CPUs ST has launched lately, or will launch. For that I have a newer post I can't see. But it doesn't matter, thank you anyway.

LMI2
Lead

"My tip with Embedded Linux, and such platforms, pick one that's got really deep support and interest, from both vendor ." Yes, I think I understand.

New things aren't always faster, ST has a broad range, and the speed, performance and functionality is mixed as different applications. There's a 550 MHz H7, and one that's 280 MHz. People want Cortex-M33 based processors due to security concerns in IoT.

What your application needs in terms of speed, internal RAM, or FLASH, user interface/display, is perhaps going to dictate what's actually suitable for a given use case.

Linux might be popular if it runs an existing solution well enough that you don't need to develop your own. But others might reasonably request a copy of the code, and make their own version of it.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..