cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P-NUCLEO-USB002 can't recognize the e-Marker cable

John886
Associate II

Hi Sir

I used the same e-marker cable that i tested with FUSB307BGEVB.

The Ra in the cable can be detected when i used the FUSB307EGEVB but it didn't be detected by the STUSB1602.

I tracked the code i found that when cable attached then the register value of 0Eh was 2Dh which means Sink attached.

But i except to see 2Fh which means Powered cable with sink attached.

In the STUSB1602 evb i close the JP400 that makes Vconn from the local regulator.

Dose the STUSB1602 needs to configure other setting to detect the Ra ?

I have read the UM2191 but can't find any hint.

Please give me some suggestion to fix the issue.

Thanks.

BR

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dear @John886​ 

To get only 1 thread regarding your question, I'd prefer answering to the following question raised in another thread:

"I set the sop and sop_1 support in the usbpd_dpm_conf.h but when PE stack calls the USBPD_PHY_Init it just sets the SupportedSOP to sop."

"PE_SupportedSOP" defined is used to enable, if necessary, communication on SOP'.

Please find the stack behavior related to EMC cable detection:

0690X00000ArwcOQAR.png

1) Stack will communicate with cable only if a cable is detected. It means that by default, PHY will not acknowledge message from SOP' (what it is done by USBPD_PHY_Init function).

2) if cable is detected (USBPD_CAD_EVENT_ATTEMC event in USBPD_DPM_CADCallback function), the flag 'VconnStatus' is set to TRUE.

3) When stack is started, a check is done on this flag and automatic reconfiguration of PHY is done to be able to receive message from SOP' (through USBPD_PHY_SOPSupported function).

I hope it will clarify some points.

Rgds,

Yohann

Note: For your information, we posted an update of X-CUBE-USBPD under github (V3.1.0):

=> https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/x-cube-usb-pd

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
John886
Associate II

I solved the issue.

There's apparently not much audience for the USB power delivery evalboards here, but for benefit of anybody who would search for similar issues, can you please outline what was the issue?

Thanks,

JW

John886
Associate II

Hi JW

After i tracked the code, i found we need to define the _APPLI_VCONN_SUPPORT to enable the Vconn supply on the stusb1602.

But after i can detect the e-Marker cable, there some issue on receiving the message from VDM request neither sop nor sop_1.

I think maybe there some issue on the PE stack that ST provide as library file that means i don't have the source code, so i need more time to figure out what causes the issues happened. ​

Thanks.

John.​

Dear @John886​ 

To get only 1 thread regarding your question, I'd prefer answering to the following question raised in another thread:

"I set the sop and sop_1 support in the usbpd_dpm_conf.h but when PE stack calls the USBPD_PHY_Init it just sets the SupportedSOP to sop."

"PE_SupportedSOP" defined is used to enable, if necessary, communication on SOP'.

Please find the stack behavior related to EMC cable detection:

0690X00000ArwcOQAR.png

1) Stack will communicate with cable only if a cable is detected. It means that by default, PHY will not acknowledge message from SOP' (what it is done by USBPD_PHY_Init function).

2) if cable is detected (USBPD_CAD_EVENT_ATTEMC event in USBPD_DPM_CADCallback function), the flag 'VconnStatus' is set to TRUE.

3) When stack is started, a check is done on this flag and automatic reconfiguration of PHY is done to be able to receive message from SOP' (through USBPD_PHY_SOPSupported function).

I hope it will clarify some points.

Rgds,

Yohann

Note: For your information, we posted an update of X-CUBE-USBPD under github (V3.1.0):

=> https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/x-cube-usb-pd

Hi Yohann

Thanks for your explanation.

I got how PE stack works when e-marked cable attached..

Thanks.

BR

John​